Current Conditions for All Big Sur Area Parks
Updated August 14, 2017
ALERT: As of February 15, Highway 1 is impassable in both directions at Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge (about half a mile south of the Big Sur Station). The bridge has been demolished and is being rebuilt. Anticipated re-opening for through-traffic is the end of September, 2017. Currently, northern access to Big Sur is open from Carmel to the Big Sur Station. Businesses are open within this 26-mile northern stretch of Highway 1. From the south, access is still closed on Highway 1 at Salmon Creek. Check traffic conditions before driving at the Caltrans website.
* GARRAPATA State Park is open on the west side of Highway 1. All park lands east of Highway 1 closed to public entry, due to the 2016 Soberanes Fire.
* POINT SUR LIGHT STATION is open. More info: www.pointsur.org or (831) 625-4419
* ANDREW MOLERA State Park is open for shuttle parking and day-hiking on the west side of Highway 1. Open trails include the Bobcat Trail, Creamery Meadow Trail (to the beach), Ridge Trail, Panorama Trail, Spring Trail and Bluffs Trail. Trail Camp/Headlands Trail is closed. Trails on the east side of Highway 1 are closed. The campground is closed. For details on the new shuttle service, see Big Sur Shuttle Service.
* PFEIFFER BIG SUR State Park is open. Trails that are open to the public include: Redwood Deck, Nature Trail, River Path and Warden’s Path. LIEWALD FLAT TRAIL WILL BE CLOSED FOR TRAIL WORK 8/16-8/23. Group Camp is closed and not available for reservation until further notice. Buzzards Roost, Valley View, Pfeiffer Falls, Pine Ridge, Gorge and Mt. Manuel trails are CLOSED due to hazardous conditions. A shuttle service is available to visitors who park at Andrew Molera State Park and wish to hike up the Community Bypass Trail in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. See the California State Parks' press release for more details. Follow on Facebook for more up-to-date information. BIG SUR LODGE is open.
* JULIA PFEIFFER BURNS State Park is open for limited day use. Trails on the west side of Highway 1 are open. This includes the Overlook Trail and Partington Cove Trail. Trails on the east side of Highway 1 are closed. Ewoldsen, Canyon, Tanbark, Waters and the Tinhouse Fire Road Trails are closed. The campground is closed. Highway 1 is only accessible by vehicle from Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. Please use a map to check your route before travelling. Be advised that RVs and trailers are not allowed on Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd and that diesel fuel is not available.
* LIMEKILN State Park is open, but Highway 1 is only accessible by vehicle from Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. Please use a map to check your route before travelling. Be advised that RVs and trailers are not allowed on Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd and that diesel fuel is not available.
For more State Park information and updates on current conditions, please call the California State Parks Big Sur Sector Office at (831) 667-1112 or the Big Sur Station at (831) 667-2315. Check the CalTrans website for up-to-date road conditions on Highway 1.
* PFEIFFER BEACH is closed until further notice due to road damage. Call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information regarding Pfeiffer Beach.
* PINE RIDGE TRAIL, SYKES HOT SPRINGS and much of the Monterey Ranger District within the Los Padres Forest in Big Sur is closed until December 4, 2017. See the Forest Order for more details or call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information.
California State Parks contracts with Parks Management Company to operate the park.
The park features breathtaking views of the Big Sur Coast, the beauty of the redwoods, the rugged coast and the cultural history of limekilns. The park has 24 campsites.
The park is 56 miles south of Carmel, off Highway One; two miles south of Lucia.
The weather can be changeable. Layered clothing is advised.