Significant Incidents Updates
California State Parks works closely with the state’s network of local, state and federal law enforcement agencies to ensure our parks and their surrounding communities are safe.
Our State Parks Peace Officers respond to all types of emergencies. Information on significant incidents such as, but not limited to wildfires, earthquakes, floods and Public Safety Power Shutoffs, will be posted on this website.
Before leaving home, be sure to check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. We advise the public to recreate responsibly and visit www.parks.ca.gov/COVID19 for the latest visitor guidelines during the pandemic.
Updated: March 24, 2022 (3:40 p.m.)
- Samuel P. Taylor SP: Pioneer Tree and Cross Marin Trails are temporarily closed until further notice due to an active fire. State Parks is saddened to inform the public that the iconic Pioneer Tree at Samuel P. Taylor State Park is no longer standing. The tree was fully engulfed in flames earlier today. The Marin County Fire Department is on scene. The fire was reported around 11:25 a.m. today (3/24) and is approximately ½ acre with no threat of further spread. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time. There are no evacuations and no campers impacted. No one was injured. Updates will be made when information becomes available.
Below you will find a list of state park units impacted by previous wildfires that remain fully or partially closed. The public is advised to avoid these public outdoor spaces at this time. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
CZU August Lightning Complex Fire
San Mateo County
- Butano SP (limited day use)
Santa Cruz County
- Big Basin Redwoods SP - (Media Downloads)
- The park remains partially closed. Portions of the Rancho Del Oso coastal unit are now open daily.
- Learn how State Parks and partners are working to have Big Basin Redwoods State Park re-emerge as one of California’s greatest natural cathedrals, as well as a model for California’s resilient and inclusive parks at ReimaginingBigBasin.org.
- Bothe-Napa Valley SP (Operated by Napa County Regional Park and Open Space District)
- Sugarloaf Ridge SP (Operated by Team Sugarloaf)
- South Yuba River SP (Independence Trail)
LNU Lightning Complex Fire
- Grover Hot Springs SP will be closed until further notice. This park unit suffered significant damages to park facilities and trees. Thank you for your patience as the staff works to remove hazard trees and restore its infrastructure.
This site provides general information concerning an incident within California’s state park system. All of our information comes from park districts and/or divisions and must be approved by the Incident Commander in charge of managing the incident prior to release. Updates to these sites cannot be guaranteed on a set time schedule. Please use the information on these pages only as a reference. The sites are not meant to provide up to the minute information. Please refer to the information phone numbers provided on this site, and website links for additional information, and monitor your local radio stations for emergency broadcasts.