Distinguished Veteran Pass
This free pass entitles the bearer to free vehicle day use, family camping and boat use at over 100 California State Parks-operated units.
Honorably discharged veterans who have California residency, and one of the following three criteria/criterion:
- An overall/combined service-connected disability at a rating of 50% or greater with service during periods of wartime or operations against a foreign power (See list below).
- Held as prisoners of war by forces hostile to the United States.
- Recipient of the Medal of Honor.
HOW TO OBTAIN THE DISTINGUISHED VETERAN PASS
- Apply and submit your documents.
- Get approved.
- Receive your pass.
- Enjoy free entry to the parks.
Prepare for the application process by reviewing the Distinguished Veteran Pass Application Requirements.
Online: For the fastest processing, as well as secure transfer of information, follow the Online Application Steps.
By mail: Download the Distinguished Veteran Pass Application (PDF) and mail with required documents.
In person: Only at Downtown Sacramento location on the third Thusday of the month. See Pass Sales Locations webpage for more information.
USING THIS PASS
- Review the Distinguished Veteran Pass Terms and Conditions (PDF) for full details on the use of your pass and pass benefits.
- Once your pass is received, you may use the pass card for reservations and applicable benefits.
- Use the resources below to find the names of the locations that accept this pass:
- Passes are valid for five years before renewal is required. Review the Pass Renewal and Extension Information webpage for current information.
- To receive your benefits online when booking camping reservations, the pass holder must log into ReserveCalifornia using the same email address they provided at the time of application. If you need assistance updating your contact information, email email@example.com.
Note: Lifetime pass holders are not permitted to own more than one lifetime pass.
Qualifying Service Dates
|May 9, 1916 - November 11, 1918|
|December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946|
|June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955|
|November 1, 1955 - May 7, 1975|
|May 15, 1975|
|January 1, 1981 - Present|
LOST OR STOLEN PASSES
A lost or damaged pass may be replaced only by reapplying for the pass. No refunds can be issued. Prior to reapplying, pass applicants must email firstname.lastname@example.org to report the pass as lost or stolen.
For questions or more information, please contact the Park Pass Sales Office via email at email@example.com.