Distinguished Veteran Pass Application Requirements
Honorably discharged war veterans who are residents of California with an overall / combined rating at 50% or greater service-connected disability, or were held as prisoners of war by forces hostile to the United States, or recipients of the Medal of Honor are eligible to receive the Distinguished Veteran Pass.
Download the Distinguished Veteran Pass Application
A copy of a valid California Driver License or California Identification Card is required at the time of application.
*Interim identification will not be accepted - No Exceptions
2. Honorable Discharge
Proof of Honorable Discharge is required at the time of application - Discharge status can be found:
- DD Form 214 (Member copy 2-4*) OR
- Summary of Benefit Letter (See Obtaining a Current VA Letter)
*A Member 1 Copy of the DD Form 214 will not list the discharge status, and cannot be accepted for this purpose.
3. California Residency Requirements
Proof of current California residency using one of the methods listed below:
- Current property tax bill showing the homeowner's property tax exemption files in California (what is homeowners property exemption?) OR
- California Voter Registration card or affidavit from Registrar of voters (Voter Status can be found here) OR
- Form 1098T, Tuition Payments Statement showing CA resident in-state tuition paid for the most recent tax year OR
- 3 consecutive months of utility bills (electricity, cable, gas, etc.) showing the applicant name and service address for the most recent three consecutive months OR
- Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement/contract (notary services can be found at many UPS stores)
4. Specific Eligibility Requirements
In addition to the documents listed above, veterans will also need to include the following attachments for the applicant's specific eligibility qualification as follows:
- For DISABLED WAR VETERANS, please include all of the following:
- Proof of service during VA recognized wartime periods, with service dates listed (e.g. DD Form 214, Certificate of release, or Summary of Benefits Letter)
- A current letter from the United States Department of Veteran Affairs dated within one year of application stating the veteran has an overall/combined rating at 50% or greater service-connected disability as determined by the Veteran Affairs' combined rating table (e.g Summary of Benefits Letter)
- For PRISONERS OF WAR:
- A letter from the United States Department of Veteran Affairs or copy of personnel records from the appropriate United States Military Branch verifying former prisoner of war status.
- For MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS:
- A letter from the United States Department of Veteran Affairs or copy of personnel records from the appropriate United States Military Branch verifying Medal of Honor recipient status.