Land and Water Conservation Fund
Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) grants provide funding for the acquisition or development of land to create new outdoor recreation opportunities for the health and wellness of Californians.
Since 1965, over one thousand parks throughout California have been created or improved with LWCF assistance.
Outdoor Recreation Legacy Partnership Program (ORLP)
ORLP is a National competitive grant program under the LWCF program.
Aplications were due by July 6, 2018.
Questions about the ORLP application process can be directed to the Project Officer of the project’s County.
LWCF Local Agency Competitive:
2019 LWCF Recommended Projects are Announced (May 15, 2019)
2018 LWCF Recommended Projects Are Announced (June 15, 2018)
The next competitive cycle will occur in 2020 at the earliest. An application due date will be posted here.
Questions may be sent to your OGALS Project Officer.
Local Agency Competitive Program:
2. Resolution for Local Agency Competitive Program
State Agency Pro Rata Competitive Funds:
1. Grant Scope-Cost Estimate Form
2. Pre-Award Planning Costs Form
3. Funding Sources Form (Revised March 5, 2014)
4. CEQA Compliance Certification Form
5. Proposal Description-Environmental Screening Form (PD/ESF) effective 10/31/2016 found at https://www.nps.gov/subjects/lwcf/lwcf-forms.htm.
Tips for Completing the PD/ESF Form for a New Application.
6. Rate of Reimbursement, Match, and Grant Request Range Guidance
7. Requesting a Reduced Area 6(f)(3) Boundary Map for a Lesser Unit
8. Federal Categorical Exclusions for which documentation is required
Section 106 Process:
The Applicant will complete steps 1 - 4 below. Instructions for steps 1 - 3 are provided in this document:
Section 106 Instructions
1. Obtain Information Center Recommendation
2. Obtain Native American Consultation California Native American Heritage Commission, Forms: Sacred Lands File & Native American Contacts List Request and Local Government Tribal Consultation List Request
3. Using the Template, Report and Content Template for Section 106 Consultations, write a Cover Letter from the Applicant addressed to the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) Summarizing Compliance with Section 106. This is done after steps 1 - 2 above.
4. Send 1 - 3 above as a "SHPO Section 106 Package" to the OGALS Project Officer.
5. The OGALS Project Officer will make a copy and send 1 - 3 above to SHPO.
Recent Grant Awards
News Release (June 15, 2018)
"$14.8 million of Recommended 2018 Projects Announced"
News Release (May 26, 2016)
"$8.8 million of Recommended 2016 Projects Announced"
News Release (May 27, 2015)
"California State Parks Announces Grant Awards for Local Recreation Projects"
News Release (August 21, 2014)
"Outdoor Recreation Legacy Partnership Program Recommendations Announced"
(This is distinct from California's LWCF Competitive Program.)
News Release (April 23, 2014)
"State Parks Announces $6.94 Million in Local Projects"
LWCF Projects 1964 - 2017 (Excel) / PDF
Additional Program Information:
National Park Services Website
Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP)