- Sycamore Cove & Mugu Beach parking lots open at 8am and close at sunset.
- Sycamore Canyon & Thornhill Broome campground gates open at 8am and close at 10pm. No entry after 10pm.
Point Mugu State Park
Here are some guidelines for people visiting Point Mugu State Park:
What is open now?
- Our Mugu Beach, Sycamore Cove, Sycamore Canyon, and La Jolla Canyon parking lots will be open from 8 a.m. to sunset to a limited capacity and we are only accepting payment by automated pay machines or our pay by phone app (https://www.passportparking.com). By using our app our guests will save $1 for all day parking. No cash transactions will be accepted.
- Campground will open at limited capacity to maintain social distancing and avoid large group gatherings starting June 12. For more information about camping, visit www.parks.ca.gov/COVID19Camping. To make a reservation, visit www.ReserveCalifornia.com or call 800-444-7275. Walk-ins will NOT be allowed.
What is currently closed at this park and throughout the State Park System?
At this park:
- Our campground will remain closed until further notice.
- Filming continues to be canceled until further notice.
- Many campgrounds across the state remain closed until further notice. Some campgrounds have started to reopen with modifications. For more information, please visit www.parks.ca.gov/COVID19Camping.
- High public-use indoor facilities, including museums and visitor centers.
- Special events and tours continue to be canceled until further notice.
Are there any new visitor guidelines? Yes, please see below:
- Stay Local: Stay close to home. Walk or bike into the park. Parking is very limited. Do not take road trips to parks and beaches or to neighboring states.
- Stay Active: Keep walking, jogging, hiking and biking. Watch for one-way trails.
- Stay Safer at 6 Feet: Maintain a physical distance of 6 feet or more. Gatherings, picnics and parties are not allowed. Visitors will be asked to leave if there are too many people at the park, beach or on trails to allow for the required physical distance.
- Stay Clean: Be prepared. Bring soap/sanitizer and pack out all trash.
- Stay Covered: The state now requires you to wear a face covering in most indoor settings and public outdoor spaces when you cannot maintain physical distancing of six feet or more from people outside of your immediate household. For details, please visit CDPH’s guidance here. Visitors should also abide by their local county health orders.
Thank you for your patience and continued support of California State Parks as we work to limit your risk for exposure to COVID-19 in the outdoors. For more information, please visit parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve.
Please be advised that due to tidal influence and storm surge, the Thornhill Broome Beach campground is subject to flooding.
The La Jolla Group Camp toilets have been temporarily replaced by chemical toilets as we work towards repairing the current restrooms.
We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to resolve the problem.
Point Mugu State Park, located in the Santa Monica Mountains, features five miles of ocean shoreline with rocky bluffs, sandy beaches, sand dunes, rugged hills and uplands, two major river canyons and wide grassy valleys dotted with sycamores, oaks and a few native walnuts. There are more than 70 miles of hiking trails. The beach also features swimming, body surfing and surf fishing. The park includes the jagged pinnacles of the Boney Mountains State Wilderness Area.
The beach is 15 miles south of Oxnard on Highway One.
- All day – $12.00 per car, per day
- 3 hrs – $9.00 per car
- 2 hrs – $6.00 per car
- 1 hr – $3.00 per car
Popular hikes and trails:
- Grotto Trail (easy)
- Mugu Peak Trail (moderate)
- Scenic and Overlook Trails Loop (easy)
Firewood Policy: Burning firewood, Duraflame, and charcoal briquettes in the fire rings is allowed when fire level permits (determined on a day by day basis). Check the sign near the entrance to the park for the day's fire levels.
Showers: The park's showers are token-operated. The token machines accept ONLY dollar bills. Change for larger bills is not available at this time.
- Camping Adventures (Campsite equipment and set up)
- LAZ Parking California, LLC (Maintain and manage parking lots)