- Sycamore Cove & Mugu Beach parking lots open at 8am and close at sunset.
- Sycamore Canyon & Thornhill Broome campground gates open at 8am and close at 10pm. No entry after 10pm.
Point Mugu State Park
In an effort to prevent visitation surges and help stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), State Parks has implemented the following safety measures to date:
- Closed some parks, meaning all trails and restrooms within these parks are closed.
- Closed vehicular access at remaining parks, including for off-highway vehicle riding.
- Closed all campgrounds, museums and visitor centers.
- Cancelled all events.
A list of closures is available online at parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve. The list is dynamic and updated on a regular basis.
Please be advised that due to tidal influence and storm surge, the Thornhill Broome Beach campground is subject to flooding.
The La Jolla Group Camp toilets have been temporarily replaced by chemical toilets as we work towards repairing the current restrooms.
We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to resolve the problem.
Point Mugu State Park, located in the Santa Monica Mountains, features five miles of ocean shoreline with rocky bluffs, sandy beaches, sand dunes, rugged hills and uplands, two major river canyons and wide grassy valleys dotted with sycamores, oaks and a few native walnuts. There are more than 70 miles of hiking trails. The beach also features swimming, body surfing and surf fishing. The park includes the jagged pinnacles of the Boney Mountains State Wilderness Area.
The beach is 15 miles south of Oxnard on Highway One.
- All day – $12.00 per car, per day
- 3 hrs – $9.00 per car
- 2 hrs – $6.00 per car
- 1 hr – $3.00 per car
Popular hikes and trails:
- Grotto Trail (easy)
- Mugu Peak Trail (moderate)
- Scenic and Overlook Trails Loop (easy)
Firewood Policy: Burning firewood, Duraflame, and charcoal briquettes in the fire rings is allowed when fire level permits (determined on a day by day basis). Check the sign near the entrance to the park for the day's fire levels.
Showers: The park's showers are token-operated. The token machines accept ONLY dollar bills. Change for larger bills is not available at this time.
- Camping Adventures (Campsite equipment and set up)
- LAZ Parking California, LLC (Maintain and manage parking lots)