8 am to Sunset
El Capitán State Beach
As a reminder, Californians are encouraged to avoid road trips and stay close to home, maintain physical distancing, wear a face covering when a physical distance of six feet from others who are not from the immediate household members cannot be maintained, and avoid congregating. Everyone has the responsibility to slow down the spread of COVID-19.
Here are some additional guidelines for people visiting El Capitan State Beach:
What is open now?
The following is open at this park:
- Day Use, the Beach and Bill Wallace Trail.
- CAMPING IS AVAILABLE: To make a reservation, visit www.ReserveCalifornia.com or call 800-444-7275. For more information about camping visit www.parks.ca.gov/COVID19Camping. We do not allow early registration prior to 2 p.m.
What is currently closed at this park and throughout the State Park System?
At this park:
- Camp Store, Group Camping and Park Office.
Are there any new visitor guidelines?
Yes, please see below:
- Stay Safer at 6 Feet: Maintain a physical distance of 6 feet or more. Gatherings, picnics and parties are not allowed. Visitors will be asked to leave if there are too many people at the park to allow for the required physical distance.
- Stay Clean: Be prepared. Bring soap/sanitizer.
- Stay Covered: The state now requires you to wear a face covering in most indoor settings and public outdoor spaces when you cannot maintain physical distancing of six feet or more from people outside of your immediate household. Expect that trails, boardwalks and sidewalks do not provide six feet distance, Always have your face covering at hand. For details, please visit CDPH’s guidance here. Visitors should also abide by their local county health orders.
Statewide, California State Parks continues to work with locals on a phased and regionally-driven approach to increase access to state park units where compliance with state and local public health ordinances can be achieved. Even though the department has increased access across the State Park System, the need for Californians to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the outdoors remains critical.
For information on statewide current closures and available services, please visit visit parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve.
El Capitán State Beach offers visitors a sandy beach, rocky tidepools, and stands of sycamore and oaks along El Capitán Creek. It’s a perfect setting for swimming, fishing, surfing, picnicking and camping. A stairway provides access from the bluffs to the beach area.
Beach wheelchairs are available for use by the public with no cost. With this specially designed chair, wheelchair users may access the beach at several locations. Contact a ranger or lifeguard for additional information.
Your Inspiring Venue
Are you looking for a memorable wedding or event location with gorgeous ocean views? Contact our event coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RV rental policy
Trailers may be rented from 101 RV Rental Concession. This is the only permitted business for delivery of RVs in this state park. For any questions contact 101 RV Rental 805-210-7391