Channel Coast Seasonal Job Opportunities
Park Aides perform routine public contact work, staff park entrance stations, provide information to the public, keep facilities clean and orderly, and drive light vehicles.
This is the entry level for the seasonal lifeguard series. Under supervision, incumbents detect and rescue persons and vessels in distress; take command in emergencies; perform first-aid and resuscitation procedures; notify headquarters of accidents and rescues; prepare reports; remove hazards; assist the public and advise visitors of park rules and regulations. A Lifeguard I (Seasonal) learns to operate emergency vehicles, inspect and perform maintenance on emergency rescue equipment and vehicles; and other duties as needed.
Possession of a valid Class C California driver's license with a good driving record at the time of appointment. Candidates must have the ability to read and write English and have the physical strength and endurance necessary to rescue a struggling victim in the water. All candidates are required to possess the visual and hearing acuity necessary to detect and rescue a struggling victim in the water.
All applicants are required to successfully complete the following prior to being appointed:
1. You must pass a COMPETITIVE open water swimming test:Ocean Lifeguard (Seasonal) Tryouts
Consisting of the following:
- 1,000 yard open water swim. Time limit of 20 minutes.
- A continuous 200 yard run, 400 yard swim, 200 yard run. Time limit of 10 minutes.
2. Qualification appraisal interview.
3. Successful completion of the California State Park Lifeguard Training Program. (8 days/80+ hours) Includes department certification in CPR & AED, Public Safety First Aid, and open water search & rescue and other aquatic lifesaving techniques.
Maintenance Park Aides perform routine maintenance and house keeping duties, provide information to the public, keep facilities clean and orderly, use various tools and drive light vehicles.