8:00 am to Sunset
George J. Hatfield State Recreation Area
What is open now?
- Parking and Day-Use areas.
- Trails and River Access.
- Special events
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
Be COVID-19 Safe – State Parks continues to follow guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health:
- Fully Vaccinated Persons: Face coverings are not required in public outdoor settings. For indoor public settings, such as museums and visitor centers, all vaccinated individuals are to self-attest that they are in compliance prior to entry.
- Unvaccinated Persons: Face coverings are required in indoor public settings such as museums and visitor centers.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
This park is in the San Joaquin valley and is surrounded by the Merced River. The park has many trees and is home to various wildlife, especially birds. Swimming, fishing and picnicking are popular activities.
From Interstate 5, take the Newman exit into Newman and continue east on County Road J-18 for five miles; the park entrance is just past the San Joaquin River bridge.
4394 North Kelly Road
Hilmar, CA 95324
The weather can be changeable; layered clothing is recommended