Redwood National and State Parks’ four-park information center is in Crescent City at 1111 Second Street. The telephone number is 707-465-7335. Other visitor centers are in Orick, Prairie Creek, Jedediah Smith Campground, and Hiouchi.
The Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park brochure [http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/414/files/DelNorteSPFinalWebLayout2015.pdf] contains valuable information on the park’s natural and cultural history as well as tips for planning your visit.
The Redwood National and State Parks website [http://www.nps.gov/redw/index.htm] provides additional information on Del Norte. Its visitor guide can be downloaded here. [http://www.nps.gov/redw/parknews/newspaper.htm]
Organizations with helpful information and ways to get involved are Save the Redwoods League [http://www.savetheredwoods.org/involved/map/prop_detail.php?id=22] and the Redwood Parks Association. [http://www.redwoodparksassociation.org/node/9 ]
More information about the California Coastal Trail is available here. [http://www.californiacoastaltrail.info/cms/pages/main/index.html]
To go deeper, try any of these books.
- Lorentzen, Bob and Richard Nichols, Hiking the California Coastal Trail, Volume One: Oregon to Monterey, Coastwalk, 2002.
- McKinney, John, Day Hiker’s Guide to California Parks, The Trailmaster, 2007.
- Preston, Richard, The Wild Trees, Random House, 2008.
- Rohde, Jerry and Gisela, Best Short Hikes in Redwood National and State Parks, The Mountaineers, 2004.
- Rohde, Jerry and Gisela, Redwood National & State Parks: Tales, Trails, and Auto Tours, MountainHome Books, 1994.