Paid Youth Aide Program
This paid, non-lifeguard, mentorship position will work under close leadership of the Seasonal Lifeguard II at their reporting beach location, and an assigned Seasonal Lifeguard I-Junior Lifeguard Program Instructor during the operating hours of the Junior Lifeguard Program. The incumbents will work with Lifeguard Staff and other Park Personnel in order to develop job skills, proper work habits, and leadership qualities through work experience. They also become role models for program participants, while they themselves gain training and experience in leadership, teamwork, aquatic safety skills, and first aid. This is a great opporutnity for those interested in becoming a future lifeguard!
- Minimum age is 15 years, max 16 years at time of appointment, May 15, 2021.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited high school or equivalent educational program.
- Willingness to work all necessary weekdays during the Junior Lifeguard Program operating hours.
- Physical strength and endurance necessary to complete the following:
• Competitive 500 yard ocean swim. (time limit: 10 minutes or less)
• Competitive 100 yard run, 200 yard swim, 100 yard run. (time limit: 5 minutes or less)
• Competitive interview.
- Completion of the Junior Lifeguard Youth Aide training program on May 15, 2021.
- The ability to get along well with others and work within a work-group of highly motivated professionals.
- Willingness to follow directions and perform a variety of manual, instructional, or clerical tasks.
- A desire to develop job skills, proper work habits, and leadership qualities related to Lifeguard and other Park employment.
The tryout will consist of a 500 yard open ocean swim with a maximum time limit of 10 minutes. Candidates who complete the swim in the allotted time will qualify for the Run-Swim-Run portion of the tryout which will consist of a 200yard run- 200 yard swim.
Qualified candidates are invited to an interview, held on the same day or the Monday following the tryout, depending upon availability.
May 1 @8:00AM @ Twin Lakes- Blacks Beach (East Cliff Drive & end of 14th Avenue).
Interested candidates will need to complete all swim waivers prior to the tryout via DocuSign.
- Follow this link to take you to all of the required tryouts waivers via DocuSign (you do not need an account)
- Fill out information for Swim Waiver, COVID-19 Wavier and Visual Media Consent Waiver
a. Must enter Parent/Guardian’s name and email in the form.
b. Parent must then check their email, open DocuSign, and sign the form as well.
You can also access the waivers by scanning this QR code:
*date and/or location subject to change without noticed due to weather or conditions
What To Bring to the Tryout:
Parent or Legal Guardian
Clothes/ towel to keep warm
School Identification, California Identification Card, or California Drivers License
Fins will not be allowed