Roads and Trails Program
The All New Trails Handbook is Now Available!!
The newly updated Trails Handbook is now available for download! The handbook is designed to assist park management professionals in the development of a comprehensive trail management program. It is filled with useful specifications, designs, and documents to help you develop your trail project from conception to opening and to manage it over the long-term. Peruse the chapters on line or download for easy reference and sharing.
The Roads and Trails Program provides education and technical assistance to trail and open space managers and advocates regarding non-motorized trail planning, design, construction, funding and management throughout California.
The Roads and Trails Program:
- Oversees the California Recreational Trails Plan and reports on the progress in its implementation.
- Organizes and hosts California Trails & Greenways.
- Provides trail planning, funding and management tools to trail managers and provides expert advice on trail management issues to agencies statewide.
- Developed the Department’s Trail Change-in-Use process and provides ongoing technical assistance and training for its implementation.
- Assists in the development of Road and Trail Management Plans for individual park units.