Call the beach
Sunset State Beach
Visiting Sunset State Beach
A peaceful campground under the pines, picnicking on the beach, and unmatched views of Monterey Bay make Sunset State Beach a favorite year-round destination.
Sunset State Beach and campground is located 16 miles south of Santa Cruz via Highway 1 and San Andreas Road.
- Dangerous rip currents, frigid water and deep offshore dropoffs make surfing and swimming hazardous for any but the most experienced surfers.
- Natural and cultural features are protected by law and may not be disturbed or removed.
- Do not feed or leave food out for wildlife.
- Alcohol is NOT permitted on the beach or in the day-use areas.
- Dogs: Except for service animals, dogs are not permitted on Sunset Beach; leashed dogs are allowed at Manresa State Beach. Dogs are allowed in both campgrounds on a six-foot-maximum leash.
- Fires are allowed only in park fire rings.
Events and Activities
During the summer season, State Parks offers events and activities including Junior Rangers programs, nature hikes, and camppfire programs. Please contact the park for more information.
Available Activities and Facilities at Sunset State Beach
Hike or Bike Campsites
Exhibits and Programs
Restrooms / Showers
Drinking Water Available