Outdoor Equity Grants Program
$57 million is now available for the October 8, 2021 application cycle.
“Grant Performance Period” - Applicants can now plan for longer grant performance periods. See the bottom of this page for more information.
The Outdoor Equity Grants Program (OEP) will increase the ability of residents in low income urban and rural communities to participate in outdoor experiences at state parks and other public lands.
OEP grants will improve the health and wellness of Californians by connecting underserved communities to natural areas throughout California.
This program was established by Assembly Bill 209 (Limón).
- All Public Agencies (local, state, and federal government, school districts and educational agencies, joint powers authorities, open-space authorities, regional open-space districts, and other relevant public agencies)
- Non-profit organizations with 501(c)(3) status
Outdoor programs will be designed to take place in the community and at natural area destinations. See the Program Overview and Grant Selection Criteria in the Application Guide for more information.
Total Amount Available
Use this guide to plan and submit the grant application. The OEP Team is committed to give technical assistance. Contact information is below.
Grant Administration Guide
The Grant Administration Guide will be used by grant recipients that are selected for funding when grant awards are announced. It includes a sample grant agreement, the payment process, and accounting/record keeping requirements.
October 8, 2021 Application Due Date
Applications must be submitted online by or before 5:00 p.m. on Friday October 8, 2021.
Use this link to preview the online application system: Video Tour of Online Application
Use this link to create and submit the application online: Online Application
Technical Assistance Links
Please use the following links to access these resources
- Application Workshop Webinar Recordings
- Competitive Chart
- Outdoor Equity Program Community FactFinder
- Community FactFinder Video
- Community Based Planning COVID-19 Guidance
- Fillable Application Forms
Technical Assistance Contacts
For technical assistance, applicants are encouraged to send questions to the “Competitive Grant Application/Pre-Award” Project Officer based on the county where the Community Home Base is located. Please use this link: List of Competitive Application Project Officers by County
- Start planning the outdoor programs now using the Application Guide.
- Watch an application workshop using the links above if you did not attend one, and send questions to your “Competitive Project Officer” using the contact list above.
- Applications are due by or before 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 8, 2021.
- Grant awards will be announced by spring 2022.
- Grant-funded outdoor programs will start by spring/summer 2022.
- See the “Grant Performance Period” information below.
“Grant Performance Period” (update to page 4 of the Application Guide)
All applications will compete for the available $57 million during this application cycle. The $57 million comes from two state budget years so there are two possible grant performance periods.
7/1/2020 to 6/30/2025
- Pre-Award Planning Costs are eligible for reimbursement as of 7/1/2020.
- Complete the program within three years from grant award, by or before spring 2025.
7/1/2021 to 6/30/2026
- Pre-Award Planning Costs become eligible for reimbursement starting on 7/1/2021 (not 7/1/2020).
- Complete the program within four years from grant award, by or before spring 2026.
The competitive review team may discuss either grant performance period with applicants before grant awards are announced.