Outdoor Equity Grants Program
$57 million is now available for the October 8, 2021 application cycle.
“Grant Performance Period”
- $19 million of the $57 million will liquidate by June 30, 2025. This means up to $19 million will be awarded to programs that can be completed within 3 years from spring 2022 grant announcements. “Pre-award planning costs” dating back to July 1, 2020 may be reimbursed for no more than 5% of the grant amount.
- $38 million of the $57 million will liquidate by June 30, 2026. This means up to $38 million will be awarded to programs that can be completed within 4 years from spring 2022 grant announcements. “Pre-award planning costs” dating back to July 1, 2021 may be reimbursed for no more than 5% of the grant amount.
- The $19 million and $38 million originate from different state fiscal years and for this reason, the start of the grant performance periods have a 1-year difference.
- All applications received by or before October 8, 2021, will compete for the $57 million.
The Outdoor Equity Grants Program (OEP) will increase the ability of residents in low income urban and rural communities to participate in outdoor experiences at state parks and other public lands.
OEP grants will improve the health and wellness of Californians by connecting underserved communities to natural areas throughout California.
This program was established by Assembly Bill 209 (Limón).
- All Public Agencies (local, state, and federal government, school districts and educational agencies, joint powers authorities, open-space authorities, regional open-space districts, and other relevant public agencies)
- Non-profit organizations with 501(c)(3) status
Outdoor programs will be designed to take place in the community and at natural area destinations. See the Program Overview and Grant Selection Criteria in the Application Guide for more information.
Total Amount Available
October 8, 2021 Application Due Date
Applications must be submitted online by or before 5:00 p.m. on Friday October 8, 2021. The online application system will be made available here by early August.
Application Workshop Webinars Recordings
Please use the links below to watch an Application Workshop Recording. Over 500 people participated statewide.
6-30-2021 OEP Workshop:
7-1-2021 OEP Workshop:
7-14-2021 OEP Workshop:
7-15-2021 OEP Workshop:
Outdoor Equity Program Community Fact Finder
To access the tool, please use this link: Outdoor Equity Program Community FactFinder
Use this chart as a summary and planning tool with the Application Guide: Competitive Chart
Technical Assistance Contacts
For technical assistance, applicants are encouraged to send questions to the “Competitive Grant Application/Pre-Award” Project Officer based on the county where the Community Home Base is located. Please use this link: List of Competitive Application Project Officers by County
- Start planning the outdoor programs now using the Application Guide.
- Watch an application workshop using the links above if you did not attend one, and send questions to your “Competitive Project Officer” using the contact list above.
- Applications are due by or before 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 8, 2021.
- Grant awards will be announced by spring 2022.
- Grant-funded outdoor programs will start by spring/summer 2022.
- See the “Grant Performance Period” update at the top of this web page.