ACCEPTING NEW VOLUNTEER APPLICATIONS!
Looking to share your love of these parks with the public? Or are you more interested in helping out behind the scenes, patrolling the backcountry and reporting trail conditions to park staff? Opportunities abound here at Castle Rock and Portola Redwoods State Parks!
New Volunteer Training is set for April 2023, so apply now to be a part of our parks family!
How Can I Help?
Between our two beautiful parks, there's lots to do! Below you'll find a list of some of the ways our lovely volunteers help out around here. Of course, if you have your own ideas of how you'd like to help, we'd love to hear them! And don't worry, you don't have to sign up for everything- just let us know on your application what activities you're interested in and we'll make sure you get the proper training.
Docent and Interpretive Activities
- Public interactions and interpretive/educational programs
- Leading guided hikes and tours for members of the public
- Welcoming visitors to the park and answering questions, recommend hiking routes, etc.
- Leading field trip tours for school groups
- Operating the Portola Redwoods Park Store
- Tabling at park events
- Social media content creation
Trail Crew Activities
- Maintaining trail accessibility and ecological stability
- Cutting downed trees, removing debris from trails
- Maintenance on footbridges, culverts, etc.
- Coordinating with State Parks Roads and Trails crews
- Answering questions for hikers at worksites
Wilderness Patrol Activities
- Hiking front- and backcountry trails within park borders
- Reporting trail conditions to WP Coordinators
- Reporting emergencies to Ranger Dispatch, 911
- Directing lost hikers
- Answering questions and reminding visitors about park rules
Visit Castle Rock State Park. If you’ll be coming here or to other California state parks frequently, buy a state parks pass—an excellent way to save money and support state parks.
Volunteer your time to assist visitors and protect the park. To find out about opportunities in Castle Rock and nearby Portola Redwoods State Park, contact Portola and Castle Rock Foundation. For an overview of volunteer opportunities with California State Parks, visit the volunteering webpage or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support nonprofit groups working on behalf of this park, including Sempervirens Fund, Portola and Castle Rock Foundation, Peninsula Open Space Trust, and Save the Redwoods League. Sempervirens Fund helped to create Castle Rock State Park 50 years ago and continues to support the park in many ways.