Park Policies & Guidelines
San Diego Coast District Superintendent's Posted Orders
Posted Order 2021
For the safety and comfort of all:
- The use of self-propelled or motorized bicycles, scooters, and skateboards are prohibited within the park boundaries.
- The use of powered unmanned aircraft, drones, or other remote controlled aerial devices is prohibited within the park's boundaries.
- Walk carefully — park walkways and floors are sometimes uneven.
- Some of our historic buildings cannot accommodate strollers.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted in our museums.
- Smoking is not allowed within 20 feet of buildings.
- Please do not walk or climb on fences, walls, or trees.
- While service animals may be admitted to the museums, we regret that pets are not allowed in the museums.
Pets are not allowed within the museums with the exception of service animals.
Photography and Interaction with People in Historic Clothing
Park staff is happy to be part of your travel photos, but please keep in mind the following:
- They have other work responsibilities in the park and may need to get to their work location.
- Not everyone in historic clothing is a California State Park Employee — some work for the businesses inside the park.
- Please be respectful and ask their permission if you wish to pose with them; especially if you wish to be close enough for physical contact.
- Lifting a woman's skirt is never OK!
Photography/Videotaping and Commercial Activities
Photography in the museum is permitted for personal use only (please no tripods) and should not interfere with other visitors' experiences in the park. Single cameras are allowed, but more elaborate photography setups are not permitted without advance permission and arrangements with the park superintendent. Commercial and press photography, commercial artwork, as well as other activities resulting in the creation of images from Old Town San Diego State Historic Park, are prohibited without prior written authorization from the park superintendent.
No weapons are permitted on Old Town San Diego State Historic Park's property, with exemptions to include all law enforcement agents.