YOUTH AID PROGRAM
2021 Youth Aide Program
You must pass a COMPETITIVE physical test consisting of the following:
(Wetsuits are allowed, expect the water to be cold)
- 1,000 yard open water swim.
- Time limit of 20 minutes.
- A continuous 200 yard run, 400 yard swim, 200 yard run. (R-S-R)
- Time limit of 10 minutes.
- Qualification appraisal interview (dates and times will be assigned)
- Successful completion of Silver Strand Youth Aide Training.
2021 QUALIFICATION/RE-QUALIFICATION SWIM & TRAINING:
Date: Saturday, May 22nd & Sunday May 23rd
Time: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM , both days
*Picture I.D. is REQUIRED on the first day. All minors are required to have a parent or guardian PRESENT on the day of the swim test for swim test waiver signature.
*Online registration as a "Junior Guard Assistant" will need to be completed prior to this weekend. Free of charge.
* Training will include guarding our first tryouts, from 9 AM - 12 PM.
* Swim and Training is MANDATORY in order to be a Youth Aide this summer.
If you are interested in becoming a Youth Aide, or returning to our program as a Youth Aide, please email us at email@example.com as soon as possible. We will send out more details on how to register online through Reserve CA, as well as information on our Swim/Training weekend.
- Be 15-17 years of age, with 2 sessions of Junior Guard experience.
- Commit to one Session of Junior Lifeguards and attend the pre-season trainings.
* It is imperative that new and returning Junior Guard Youth Aides attend the pre-season trainings. We understand that many of you are very involved in other sports, academics, and have other obligations during the spring and summer. Please try your best to attend our trainings. This position requires specialized knowledge and ability that we wish to teach and help improve in order to ensure the safety of all participants and Youth Aides in our program.
- Volunteer your time to gain community service hours.
- Complete a minimum of 10 hours of tower shadowing, per session.
* We will allow Youth Aides to shadow towers after 2pm and on busy weekends with lifeguard approval and when beach operations allows.
- Assist in any aquatic rescue or minor medical aides.
- Promote teamwork and support our youth in physical activities.
- Be a positive role model for all Junior Lifeguards!