For Immediate Release: 6/7/2017
DPR Improves Distinguished Veteran and Disabled Discount Pass Programs
Gloria Sandoval I Deputy Director of Public Affairs I (916) 651-7661
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) is modernizing the way it manages the Distinguished Veteran (DVP) and Disabled Discount (DDP) pass programs. Starting this month, June 15, the DPR will be issuing new credit card design passes for current DVP and DDP pass holders as part of its transition to California’s new reservation system: ReserveCalifornia™. These individuals will need to visit one of 48 designated state park locations to work with DPR staff to create a new online profile and exchange their current pass for the new credit card design pass.
Enhancing the experience of distinguished veterans and disabled individuals is part of a larger effort to provide visitors to California’s state park system with a new, faster, and easier-to-use camping and tour reservation system. ReserveCalifornia™ will go live on Aug. 1, 2017. A variety of features, such as interactive maps and self-service online options, will be phased in between August 2017 and Mar. 1, 2018 allowing for better trip planning and access to outdoor public spaces.
DPR is asking current pass holders to visit one of the 48 designated state park locations starting June 15, 2017, so they may continue to easily access state parks. It is important to note that current pass holders under the DVP and DDP programs may continue using their passes for camping reservations through July 31, 2017. Individuals may also use their current pass for day use through Feb. 28, 2018. Old passes will not be valid after these dates.
The section below provides details on what the in-person pass exchange entails, including what to bring, what to expect, and images of the current and new DVP and DDP passes. For detailed information, the public is encouraged to visit the pass exchange website at www.parks.ca.gov/passexchange or call (844) 421-8077. Please call in advance to arrange special accommodations.
Pass Exchange Dates and Locations
Starting June 15, 2017 visit a designated state park location to exchange your DVP or DDP pass. Click here for a complete listing of participating locations.
What to Bring
If you have a Distinguished Veteran Pass, please bring the following documentation to a designated state park location:
- Distinguished Veteran Pass (copies not accepted) AND
- Valid California Driver License or California Identification Card showing veteran’s current California residence address (interim/temporary not accepted) AND
- Valid U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Veteran Identification Card.
If you have a Disabled Discount Pass, please bring the following documentation to a designated state park location:
- Disabled Discount Pass (copies not accepted) AND
- Valid state-issued driver license or suitable photo identification (interim/temporary not accepted) issued by the state, federal government or a school AND
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Permanently Disabled Status. Valid non-joint vehicle registration stating disabled status/license or valid Disabled Person Placard Identification Card/Receipt containing the name of disabled person (copy of placard will NOT be accepted) OR
- Ask your physician to complete the Doctor Certification in Section III of our Disabled Discount Pass application. The DDP application is located on DPR’s website at www.parks.ca.gov/passes.
What to Expect
- DPR staff will help you set up a new ReserveCalifornia™ profile which you can start using on Aug. 1, 2017.
- Once your profile is created and your discount pass eligibility validated, DPR staff will give you a receipt that will serve as your temporary pass while your new credit card style pass is mailed to you from DPR’s Pass Office (within 14 days of the date of exchange).
Samples of Current and New Passes
The DPR offers a variety of passes, including the California Explorer, Golden Poppy, Historian Passport, Tahoe Regional, Off-Highway Vehicle, Boat Use, Oversized Vehicle, Sno-Park, Golden Bear, Limited-Use Golden Bear and Distinguished Veteran and Disabled Discount.
The DVP pass is available to honorably discharged war veterans who are California residents and have an overall/combined rating at 50 percent or greater service-connected disability, were held as prisoners of war by forces hostile to the United States or are recipients of the Medal of Honor. The DDP pass may be issued to persons with permanent disabilities. The DDP entitles the holder to a 50 percent discount for vehicle day use, family camping and boat use fees at DPR-operated units. For complete terms and conditions, and information on DPR’s pass programs, please visit www.parks.ca.gov/passes.
The California Department of Parks and Recreation will continue to inform and engage the public on www.ReserveCalifornia.com as implementation of the new reservations system approaches. Information will also be shared on the department’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Subscribe to California State Parks News via e-mail at NewsRoom@parks.ca.gov
California State Parks provides for the health, inspiration and education of the people of California by helping to preserve the state’s extraordinary biological diversity, protecting its most valued natural and cultural resources, and creating opportunities for high quality outdoor recreation.