Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
Parks Title

Pass Exchange

Distinguished Veteran and Disabled Discount Pass Programs
June 1, 2017

                                                                                                               IMPORTANT PASS NOTICE

Beginning at midnight on July 26, 2017, the Pass Exchange program for California State Parks’ Distinguished Veteran Passes (DVP) and Disabled Discount Passes (DDP) will be temporarily offline to prepare for the exciting launch of the new ReserveCalifornia™ reservation system on August 1, 2017; as such, the Park Pass Office will be closed on Thursday, July 27th through Monday, July 31st; reopening on Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 9:00am.

During this time, all existing reservations will be honored with your old DVP or DDP passes. An electronic or hard copy from Reserve America will need to be presented to State Parks staff when checking in for reservation made prior to July 26, 2017.

The 47 designated locations will be unavailable for the Pass Exchange and issuance of new DVP and DDP discount passes from midnight July 26, 2017 through July 31, 2017, and will resume pass exchanges and issuing new passes on August 1, 2017.

The California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) is modernizing the way it manages the Distinguished Veteran (DVP) and Disabled Discount (DDP) pass programs. Starting this month, June 15, the DPR will be issuing new credit card design passes for current DVP and DDP pass holders as part of its transition to California’s new reservation system: ReserveCalifornia.

DPR is asking current pass holders to visit one of 47 designated state park locations starting June 15, 2017, to work with department staff to create a new online profile and exchange their current pass for the new credit card design pass. It is important to note that current pass holders under the DVP and DDP programs may continue using their passes for camping reservations through July 26, 2017. Individuals may also use their current pass for walk-up (first-come, first-serve) camping and day use through February 28, 2018. Old passes will not be valid after these dates.

The section below provides details on what the in-person pass exchange entails, including what to bring, what to expect, and images of the current and new DVP and DDP passes. Please call the department in advance to arrange special accommodations at (844) 421-8077.

Starting June 15, 2017 visit a designated state park location to exchange your DVP or DDP pass.

Pass Exchange Locations: AlphabeticalGeographical

If you have a Distinguished Veteran Pass, please bring the following documentation to a designated state park location:

  • Distinguished Veteran Pass (copies not accepted) AND
  • Valid California Driver License or California Identification Card showing veteran’s current California residence address (interim/temporary not accepted) AND
  • Valid U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Veteran Identification Card.

If you have a Disabled Discount Pass, please bring the following documentation to a designated state park location:

  • Disabled Discount Pass (copies not accepted) AND
  • Valid state-issued driver license or suitable photo identification (interim/temporary not accepted) issued by the state, federal government or a school AND
  • Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Permanently Disabled Status. Valid non-joint vehicle registration stating disabled status/license or valid Disabled Person Placard Identification Card/Receipt containing the name of disabled person (copy of placard will NOT be accepted) OR
  • Ask your physician to complete the Doctor Certification in Section III of our Disabled Discount Pass application. The DDP application is located on DPR’s website at
  • DPR staff will help you set up a new ReserveCalifornia profile which you can start using on Aug. 1, 2017.
  • Once your profile is created and your discount pass eligibility validated, DPR staff will give you a receipt that will serve as your temporary pass while your new credit card style pass is mailed to you from DPR’s Pass Office (within 14 days of the date of exchange).

The California Department of Parks and Recreation will continue to inform and engage the public on as implementation of the new reservations system approaches. Subscribe to receive updates online. Information will also be shared on the department’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.

The California Department of Parks and Recreation (State Parks) is modernizing the way it manages the Distinguished Veteran (DVP) and Disabled Discount (DDP) pass programs, get more information at the Frequently Asked Questions page.