Distinguished Veteran and Disabled Discount Pass Programs
August 18, 2017
The California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) is modernizing the way it manages the Distinguished Veteran (DVP) and Disabled Discount (DDP) pass programs. Starting this month, June 15, the DPR will be issuing new credit card design passes for current DVP and DDP pass holders as part of its transition to California’s new reservation system: ReserveCalifornia.
DPR is asking current pass holders to visit one of 47 designated state park locations starting June 15, 2017, to work with department staff to create a new online profile and exchange their current pass for the new credit card design pass. It is important to note that current pass holders under the DVP and DDP programs may continue using their passes for camping reservations through July 26, 2017. Individuals may also use their current pass for walk-up (first-come, first-serve) camping and day use through February 28, 2018. Old passes will not be valid after these dates.
The section below provides details on what the in-person pass exchange entails, including what to bring, what to expect, and images of the current and new DVP and DDP passes. Please call the department in advance to arrange special accommodations at (844) 421-8077.
If you have a Distinguished Veteran Pass, please bring the following documentation to a designated state park location:
- Distinguished Veteran Pass (copies not accepted) AND
- Valid California Driver License or California Identification Card showing veteran’s current California residence address (interim/temporary not accepted) AND
- Valid U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Veteran Identification Card.
If you have a Disabled Discount Pass, please bring the following documentation to a designated state park location:
- Disabled Discount Pass (copies not accepted) AND
- Valid state-issued driver license or suitable photo identification (interim/temporary not accepted) issued by the state, federal government or a school AND
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Permanently Disabled Status. Valid non-joint vehicle registration stating disabled status/license or valid Disabled Person Placard Identification Card/Receipt containing the name of disabled person (copy of placard will NOT be accepted) OR
- Ask your physician to complete the Doctor Certification in Section III of our Disabled Discount Pass application. The DDP application is located on DPR’s website at www.parks.ca.gov/passes.
- DPR staff will help you set up a new ReserveCalifornia profile which you can start using on Aug. 1, 2017.
- Once your profile is created and your discount pass eligibility validated, DPR staff will give you a receipt that will serve as your temporary pass while your new credit card style pass is mailed to you from DPR’s Pass Office (within 14 days of the date of exchange).
The California Department of Parks and Recreation will continue to inform and engage the public on www.ReserveCalifornia.com as implementation of the new reservations system approaches. Subscribe to receive updates online. Information will also be shared on the department’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.