Day use only
Cayucos State Beach
- Dogs must be monitored and leashed at all times.
- No overnight camping permitted. Day use beach only. For camping nearby please contact Montaña de Oro, Morro Bay or Morro Strand Campgrounds.
- Campfires are prohibited where posted.
- Cayucos SB is one of the few California State Parks that does not accept the Annual Day Use Pass. However, there is no fee for day use beach access.
Cayucos is a charming little beach town rich in history and popular for its great beaches. It is known for its fishing pier, beautiful beach and historical buildings. Many of the buildings left over from the prospering old town still stand as a variety of shops such as restaurants, antique stores, and speciality items. The sandy beach offers mild weather, watersports such as surfing and swimming, and tidepooling. Lifeguards are on duty during peak summer months. Junior lifeguard training is available through the County Parks of San Luis Obispo.
There are picnic tables, play equipment, restrooms, and outside showers available. The pier is lit for night fishing and a fishing license is not required while fishing on the pier*. The beach offers several other recreational opportunities such as windsurfing, jogging, and bird watching & wildlife viewing. The Museum of Natural History in nearby Morro Bay State Park has exhibits that cover natural features, cultural history, Native American life, geology, and oceanography.
*Fishing licenses are not required when fishing from the pier, but limits are enforced.
The Cayucos Veterans Hall is located at the Cayucos Pier and is managed by the Cayucos Lion's Club. This is an ideal location for wedding receptions, memorials, reunions, birthdays and more. Contact them for more information.
Seasons - Climate - Recommended clothing
Cayucos SB has moderate weather. During summer days, the area is often 30 degrees cooler than inland areas. Dress in layers, especially near the ocean. As the water here is cooler than in Southern California, surfers generally wear wetsuits.
Location - Directions
Cayucos State Beach is located:
- 19 miles northwest of San Luis Obispo on Highway 1
- 23 miles south of the Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Visitor Center on Highway 1
- 116 miles south of Monterey through Big Sur on Highway 1 (When road conditions permit)
- The charming community of Morro Bay is located 7 miles to the south and offers more gas stations, grocery stores, and dining options.
For more information, visit SLO County Parks | Think Outside
Museum of Natural History
A visit to the Central Coast of California is not complete without a stop at the Museum of Natural History within nearby Morro Bay State Park. The museum offers activities for all ages: nature walks, exhibits, lectures, puppet shows, videos, docent led tours and special events.
Visit the Chumash garden along the side of the museum and learn how the Chumash used native plants of this area in their daily lives.
The Museum of Natural History is within minutes of Morro Strand State Beach, the El Moro Elfin Forest and Audubon's Sweet Springs Nature Preserve. The museum overlooks Morro Bay which is both a State and National Estuary.
- Bayside Cafe | Great food at the Marina in Morro Bay (Lunch & Dinner)
- County of San Luis Obispo dba Morro Bay Golf Course (Golf course)