Call the park for operating hours and group arrival schedules.
Mendocino Woodlands State Park
Please take the time to read the information contained on this webpage to find out what is open and closed, and the COVID-19 guidelines for this park unit.
What is open now?
- Parking lots.
- Day use areas.
- Special events as directed by the guidelines in the Blueprint for a Safer Economy.
- Limited individual cabin camping is available. Please contact hipcamp.com or mendocinowoodlands.org for more information.
What is currently closed at this park and throughout the State Park System?
- Some park units and campground sites continue to be temporarily closed due to the pandemic, impacts from wildfires or other issues. Please visit the webpage of your local outdoor destination to find out if it is open.
- Some high public-use indoor facilities, including museums and visitor centers.
- Some special events and tours continue to be canceled until further notice.
Are there any new visitor guidelines?
State Parks has implemented the following guidelines to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 in the outdoors:
- Plan Ahead:
- The ongoing pandemic response continues to be dynamic and fluid. Prior to leaving home, check the webpage of your outdoor destination you plan to visit to find out if it is open, if parking is available, and what visitor guidelines are in effect.
- Learn what safety precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
- Stay Safer at Six Feet: No matter the recreational activity, maintain a physical distance of six feet or more. Your guests should only include those within your immediate household. This means no guests or friends, and no gatherings or parties. If there are too many people to maintain the required physical distance, please visit us on a different day.
- Boating: Do not raft up to other boaters or pull up onto a beach next to other recreators.
- Off-highway Vehicle Recreation: Do not ride next to others or pull up next to someone else as it could put you in close proximity to others. Stage 10 feet or more from each other during unloading and loading.
- Keep Clean: Be prepared as not all services may be available. Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer. Please pack out all trash. Park units are experiencing heavy use and you can help alleviate the impact on park facilities.
- Stay Covered: The state requires you to wear a face covering when you cannot maintain a physical distance of six feet or more. Individuals must have a face covering with them at all times.
Although law enforcement entities have the authority to issue citations, the expectation is that the public is responsible for adhering to the advice of public health officials, visitor guidelines and closures.
California State Parks continues to work with local and state officials on a phased and regionally driven approach to increase access to state park units where compliance with state and local public health ordinances can be achieved. However, the situation remains fluid and park operations can change at any time. For information on statewide current closures and available services, please visit parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve.
The Mendocino Woodlands State Park is a year-round group camping retreat facility and environmental center nestled in the heart of the Redwood Forest, just Northeast of the town of Mendocino. A 720 acre park, the Woodlands offers three private group cabin camping areas, each with a large, well equipped kitchen, dining hall, cabins, showers and bathrooms. The camping areas can accommodate groups of 30 to 200.
Camping for Individuals: Individuals can enjoy the camp in three ways:
- Contact a group camp listed on the Uncommon Vacations page to see if you can join. Many groups are looking to expand their numbers and would welcome you.
- Become a Friends of the Woodlands volunteer for an inexpensive, fun-filled weekend. Help the Woodlands tackle a project for a few hours, and have the rest of the weekend to yourself. Meals and lodging included.
- Sign up for Fall Weekend Workshops on interesting topics such as herbs, wilderness first aid, and more.
Our peaceful, rustic setting creates a unique learning environment for personal growth, retreats, training seminars, dance, music, church, youth and nature study groups. Plan a full day of activities or let each day unfold at its own pace. Hiking trails, a large beaver pond, river otters, deer, fox and other natural amenities complete the "magic" of the Mendocino Woodlands.
- Mendocino Woodlands Camp Assoc. (Environmental Science Camp)
Mendocino Woodlands State Park is located north of the village in the redwood forest on Little Lake Road, about 150 miles north of San Francisco. View Map
The weather can be changeable; layered clothing is recommended.