Day use only Sunrise to Sunset
Azalea State Natural Reserve
What is open now?
- Day Use Vehicular Access.
- Very limited parking is now available to the public.
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
Be COVID-19 Safe– State Parks continues to follow guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health:
- Fully Vaccinated Persons: Face coverings are not required in public outdoor settings.For indoor public settings, such as museums and visitor centers, all vaccinated individuals are to self-attest that they are in compliance prior to entry.
- Unvaccinated Persons: Face coverings are required in indoor public settings such as museums and visitor centers.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
A reserve for western azalea (Rhododendron occidentale). Each spring, a profusion of pink and white blossoms scents the air. There is a picnic area available. Plan to visit in April and May when azaleas are in bloom.
Location - Directions
5 miles north of Arcata, take the McKinleyville exit off of Highway 101. Drive 2 miles east on North Bank Road and turn left into the reserve.
- No dog is allowed outside the parking lot.
- Dogs must remain on 6 foot or less leash while in the parking lot.
Coastal/temperate. Summer 50-60. Morning and evening fog is common. Winter 40-50 with 35" of annual rainfall occurring mostly November - May.