Basic Campground Information
- Campground is located at Francis State Beach:
95 Kelly Ave
Half Moon Bay, CA
- Phone: (650) 726-8820
- Reservations (highly recommended): www.reservecalifornia.com or 1 (800) 444-7275
- No sewer or water hookups
- Maximum RV/Trailer length: 40 ft
- Dogs are not allowed on the beach. In developed areas dogs must be kept on a 6-foot-maximum leash and may not be left unattended at any time. They must be confined to a vehicle or tent at night.
- Rental RVs are not allowed to be dropped off or picked up from the park.
Visiting Half Moon Bay State Beach Campground
Francis Beach Campground has 52 campsites. Each campsite is equipped with a picnic table and fire ring. The majority of the campsites can accommodate recreational vehicles and trailers at a maximum length of 40 feet. All of our campsites can accommodate tents, with four campsites designated as tent only. More than half the campground offers electrical hookups. There are no water/sewer hookups at the campsites. However, there is a dump and potable water station. The dump fee is $10 (card only) and is not included in the reservation fee. Francis Beach Campground has restrooms and quarter-operated hot showers as well as firewood available for purchase. Several campsites are ADA Accessible; these sites are designated for campers with disabilities and require campers to provide a disability placard or plate that is issued through the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Hiker/Biker Enroute Camping is available for one night only at Francis Beach Campground for individuals who are long-distance hiking or biking the California coast. Campers arriving by vehicle are not eligible for hike and bike camping. The hike and bike area features shared picnic tables, food lockers, and fire rings. Hike and bike camping is available on a first come, first served basis in person at Francis Entrance Station beginning at 2 pm.
Sweetwood Group Camp offers large groups the opportunity to camp on the coast. Located 2.5 miles north of Francis Beach, between Venice and Dunes Beaches, Sweetwood has a large field with a picnic area and fire ring nestled among a cypress tree grove. It is available for $165/night for groups of up to 50 people and 12 vehicles. Sweetwood is limited to tent-only camping, no recreational vehicles or trailers allowed. Pit toilets available, no running water.
Reservations are highly recommended. Reservations can be made online at www.ReserveCalifornia.com or over the phone at 1 (800) 444-7275. Reservations must be made 48 hours in advance and can be made as far out as six months in advance. Hiker and biker enroute camping is only available on a first come, first served basis in person at Francis Entrance Station beginning at 2 pm.
Prospective campers can be added to a waitlist beginning at 8:30 am in person. Unreserved or cancelled sites may be released daily at 2 pm for prospective campers on the waitlist. However, to be eligible to purchase one of these sites, campers are required to be at Francis Entrance Station in person at 2 pm.
Events – Half Moon Bay State Beach offers interpreter-led activities in the campground from Memorial Day Weekend (end of May) through Labor Day Weekend (beginning of September). Events and activities may include Junior Rangers, guided hikes, and campfire programs. Please call park to confirm at (650) 726-8820 or view a list of park events.
- Check out is at noon. Check in begins after 2 pm.
- Switching sites is not permitted.
- Generators must be off between 8 pm to 10 am.
- Quiet time is 10 pm to 6 am.
- Dogs must be on leash no longer than 6 feet at all times. Dogs outside must be attended at all times. Dogs cannot be left outside at night. They must be confined to a vehicle or tent at night.
- No dogs allowed on the sand.
- Eight people maximum per campsite including children.
- One RV (recreational vehicle) per campsite.
- Only one vehicle is included in the campsite fee. Up to three vehicles are allowed per campsite, but the extra vehicles are required to pay extra vehicle fees. Legally towed trailers/vehicles count toward the total of three vehicles but are not required to pay the extra vehicle fee.
- Vehicles must fit in the campsite on pavement and out of the roadway or use the extra vehicle parking. Parking on the grass is prohibited.
- Collecting wood or driftwood is not allowed. Firewood is available for purchase at the park.
- Beach fires are strictly prohibited.
- Ropes, lines, swings, and hammocks may not be fastened to any tree.
- Campers under the age of 18 must get supervising ranger's approval. Each person under 18 must have written consent from a parent/guardian in order to stay.
- Dumping grey water is only allowed at the dump station.
- No attaching hoses to spigots or cords to other site’s electrical outlets.
- Games that are disruptive to other campers or to the environment are prohibited. Drones are prohibited.
- Speed limit in the campground is 10 MPH.
- Radios and other sound-producing devices must not be audible beyond the campers’ immediate campsite.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I make camping reservations?
Reservations can be made online at www.ReserveCalifornia.com or by calling 1 (800) 444-7275. Reservations must be made 48 hours in advance and can be made as far out as six months in advance.
- How much are campsites?
Our non-electric sites are $35 per night, our electric sites are $50 per night, and our premium sites (ocean front with electricity) are $65 per night.
- Do your sites have full hook-ups?
No. Our sites are either electric or non-electric. We do have a dump station available for campers where they can fill up on potable water for free and dump their sewage for a $10 fee.
- When is check-in and check-out time?
Check-in time is 2 pm. Campers arriving prior to 2 pm will be given a courtesy pass to park in the Francis Day Use lot, or Venice State Beach on busy days, and wait until check-in time. Check-out time is noon, please vacate your site by that time.
- What’s the longest I can camp here?
May 1st through October 31st – 7 days in a row. November 1st through April 30th – 15 days in row. However, you may not exceed 30 days in one calendar year within the whole district.
- What’s the amperage of the electrical sites?
30, 50, and 110 amps.
- What are the generator hours?
Generators must be off between 8 pm to 10 am.
- Can I set up a hammock or ropes in a tree?
No. Ropes, lines, swings, and hammocks may not be fastened to any tree.
- Can I camp on the beach?
No. Camping on the sand is prohibited. However, our premium sites and tent-only sites offer bluff camping close to the ocean.
- How many vehicles can I have at my campsite?
Three license plates max per site including legally towed-in vehicles and trailers.
- If I already have three vehicles at my site, can I have a visitor park in the extra vehicle lot?
No. Campers cannot have more than three vehicles in the campground. That lot is designated for extra vehicles for our tent camping sites.
- If I already have three vehicles at my site, can I have a visitor park in the day-use area?
Yes. They must pay the $10 day-use fee and they must exit the park before sunset. There is no overnight parking in our day-use lot.
- Can I park my vehicle on the grass? What if my vehicle cannot fit in my site?
No. All four tires must remain on the pavement. Vehicles must not extend in the roadway. Vehicles that do not fit properly in the site may be parked in the extra vehicle parking lot.
- Can I put two RVs in a campsite?
No. Campsites are limited to one RV per site.
- How many people can I have at my campsite?
Eight people max including children.
- Are there any discounts for the extra vehicle fee?
No. The extra vehicle fee is $10. No exceptions. No disabled, distinguished veteran, or senior discount. Annual day use passes cannot be used in the campground.
- Are there any discounts for hike & bike?
No. The hike & bike fee is $7 per person. No exceptions. No disabled, distinguished veteran, or senior discount.
- Where can I park my car for the hike & bike sites?
Campers arriving by vehicle are not eligible to stay in hike & bike. There is no designated parking for hike & bike as it is intended for people who are hiking/biking the California coast. Hikers or bikers may not have a vehicle within city limits in order to be eligible for hike & bike camping.
- Can I have a fire?
Fires are allowed in designated fire rings unless otherwise posted. Collecting wood/driftwood is prohibited. Firewood is available for sale at the camp hosts' site for $10 per bundle, cash only.
- How much are the showers? Do they use tokens or quarters? Where can I get quarters?
Showers are 50 cents for 2 minutes of hot water. They take quarters. Quarters may be available at the entrance station or at the laundromat off of Main Street.
- How many people can I have at Sweetwood Group Camp?
Sweetwood can accommodate up to 50 people and 12 vehicles max. Sweetwood is for tent camping only. Trailers are prohibited.
- Can I camp here without a reservation?
Unreserved sites become available for purchase beginning at 2 pm in person on a first come, first served basis. Waitlist begins at 8:30 am. Availability is extremely limited. Campsites will be assigned based on campers’ needs and availability.