La Casa de Machado y Stewart
José Manuel Machado, a corporal in the soldados de cuera (leather-jacket soldiers) at the presidio, built an adobe here around 1830. It was originally L-shaped, with two large rooms. One of the rooms was a sala, or living room, while the other was for sleeping. He and his wife, María Serafina Valdez de Machado, raised eleven children in the house. Later, one of their daughters, Rosa Machado, married a New Englander named John "Jack" Collins Stewart and inherited the house.
Descendants of the Machados continued to live in the house until 1966 when the property was sold to California State Parks and restored to its approximate 1830s appearance. It was restored as if built for an early family of slightly more modest means to help reflect the social and economic differences in the community.
Click here for more information on the casa.