Thornton State Beach
COVID-19 Guidelines (June 21, 2021)
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
Be COVID-19 Safe– State Parks continues to meet guidance from local and state public officials as COVID-19 is still present and still deadly. Here is the guidance on face coverings for this park unit:
- Regardless of vaccination status, you are required to wear a face covering in public indoor settings.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
Location and Directions
In Daly City, at the end of Thornton Beach Road. Follow John Daly Boulevard west from Interstate 280 across Skyline Boulevard onto Thornton State Beach Road. From Skyline Boulevard, turn west at the intersection with John Daly Boulevard onto Thornton State Beach Road. There is a viewing platform just west of the parking lot. There is no beach access. The Bay Area Ridge Trail begins on Mayfair Drive, located just southeast of the Skyline Blvd and John Daly Blvd intersection.
Weather and Climate
The climate is Mediterranean, so it tends to be windy and cold throughout much of the park. During the summer months, fog is common along the coastlines. Dress in layers is recommended. Hiking boots are appropriate in some areas. Comfortable shoes are also recommended within the San Francisco area, which are most comprised of asphalt or concrete.