Volunteer in the beautiful California State Parks of the Sierra foothills!
There are a wide variety of volunteer opportunities at Empire Mine State Historic Park, South Yuba River State Park, and Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park to match any interest. Volunteers can participate in any or all of the following activities after completing comprehensive training.
Empire Mine SHP:
• Tour Leaders/Assistants: Lead or assist with Estate & Mine Yard Tours, Garden Tours, and/or Nature Trail Tours
• Trail Rovers: Answer visitors' questions and keep trails clean while you hike through the beautiful forest
• Blacksmiths: Interact with visitors while you demonstrate making period ironwork to sell in our gift shop
• Gift shop: Meet people from around the world and financially benefit our park's non-profit association
• School Tours: Lead tours and/or assist with 3rd-5th grade school programs
• Garden maintenance: help with gardening and maintenance of our Rose Garden and other Estate landscaping
• Living History: Wear Living History period attire while giving Tours and/or staffing Special Events
• Special Events: Staff and/or assist with event setup and takedown for interpretive park events such as Miner's Picnic or Holidays at the Park.
South Yuba River SP:
• Visitor Center/Gift Shop: Greet and assist visitors to the historical community of Bridgeport
• Gold panning: Teach visitors and/or students how to pan for gold at our gold troughs
• School programs: Lead tours and/or assist with 3rd - 5th grade school programs
• Trail Rovers: Answer visitors' questions and keep trails clean while you hike
• Nature tours: Lead or assist with wildflower, geology, and other natural history hikes
Malakoff Diggins SHP:
• Town Tours: Lead or assist with tours to share the colorful history of North Bloomfield
• School programs: Lead tours and/or assist with 3rd-5th grade school programs
• Gold panning: Teach visitors and students how to pan for gold at our gold troughs
• Living History Special Events: Help bring the town to life by staffing and/or assisting with annual events such as Humbug Day.
• Visitor Center: assist park staff with the gift shop and addressing visitors’ questions.
Volunteer Program Open House
Are you wondering if there’s a volunteer activity that you would enjoy doing in the California State Parks of the Sierra foothills?
Sierra Gold Sector is hosting an informational Volunteer Program Open House on Saturday, March 16th from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Empire Mine State Historic Park, South Yuba River State Park and Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park, for those interested in learning more about the wide variety of volunteer opportunities available.
Volunteer docents will be staffing tables at all three parks to talk with visitors about the activities they do, and answer questions about the volunteer program. Entrance fees are waived for event attendees.
Spring 2024 Training Dates
Beginning April 12th, California State Parks is hosting a multi-day training for volunteering at Empire Mine State Historic Park, South Yuba River State Park, and/or Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park.
Training begins with a required 2-day Orientation held at Empire Mine SHP. Applicants can then attend the following on-site Activity Training days for any of the three parks that they are interested in volunteering at.
Orientation sessions are from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and will be offered on both Fridays and Saturdays. Trainees only need to attend one of the days each week; the Friday and Saturday trainings have the same content, except school program training is only included on Fridays.
RSVP is required to attend the training: Jean.Rhyne@parks.ca.gov or call (530) 686-7110 with the dates you plan to attend.
Required Orientation Training dates (held at Empire Mine SHP):
Day 1: Friday April 12th or Saturday April 13th AND
Day 2: Friday April 19th or Saturday April 20th
Empire Mine SHP activity training: Friday April 26th or Saturday April 27th
South Yuba River SP activity training: Friday May3rd or Saturday May 4th
Malakoff Diggins SHP activity training: Friday May 10th or Saturday May 11th
Start by setting up an applicant profile on our Better Impact volunteer program webpage. Go to www.myimpactpage.com and in the "Keyword" box, type Empire, Yuba or Malakoff (if you want to volunteer at multiple parks, they can be added to your profile after training). You will then be on the contact list for the next scheduled training.
For more information about the program or if you have trouble setting up a profile, email or call Volunteer Coordinator Jean Rhyne at (530) 686-7110.