Museum Hours: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tickets sold until 4:30 p.m.
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day
Train Operating Hours: Departures on the hour 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Excursion trains run weekends April through September. Sacramento Southern Railroad Trains depart from the Central Pacific Freight Depot in Old Sacramento located at Front & "K" Streets.
California State Railroad Museum Point of Interest
What is open now?
- The museum is open with modifications. Most exhibits are open and accessible.
What is currently closed?
- Guide led tours are not available at this time. The child play area, all hands-on exhibits and close quartered exhibits are closed.
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
Be COVID-19 Safe – State Parks continues to follow guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health:
- Fully Vaccinated Persons: Face coverings are not required in public outdoor settings. For indoor public settings, such as museums and visitor centers, all vaccinated individuals are to self-attest that they are in compliance prior to entry.
- Unvaccinated Persons: Face coverings are required in indoor public settings such as museums and visitor centers.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
The California State Railroad Museum (CSRM) in Old Sacramento is the world-class tribute to the role of the "iron horse" in connecting California to the rest of the nation. Our museum features 21 lavishly restored locomotives and cars, some dating back to 1862. There is a full-scale diorama of an 1860s construction site high in the Sierra Nevada as well as a bridge elevated 24 feet above the museum floor.
California State Railroad Museum Excursion Trains run from April through September (select dates October through December), where you can take a ride behind an authentic locomotive in Old Sacramento. When you climb aboard the Museum’s Sacramento Southern Railroad you enjoy a relaxing 45-minute, 6-mile roundtrip ride along the levees of the Sacramento River. Experience the sights, smells, and sounds of a real, working locomotive as it pulls vintage passenger coaches and converted freight cars.
Excursion Trains depart Saturdays and Sundays, on-the-hour 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., from our reconstructed Central Pacific Freight Depot. 2015 is the 32th year the State Railroad Museum has operated our excursion trains. Excursion train tickets are $12 adults, $6 youths (ages 6-17), ages 5 and under ride free. For more information call (916) 323-9280.
Location and Parking:
Summer and spring are warm; fall and winter can be cool. Layered clothing is advised.
C. P. Huntington, Southern Pacific Railroad Steam Locomotive No. 1,
at the California State Railroad Museum
We welcome photography for personal use.
Handheld flash is allowed; however tripods and free standing flash are not permitted for safety reasons.
Commercial photography is allowed on a case by case basis by advance arrangement. Visit www.film.ca.gov for more information.
Trains & Tripods: A Morning for Photographers at the Museum is a special event offered at the California State Railroad Museum in coordination with its non-profit partner, the California State Railroad Museum Foundation. Tripods and handheld flash are allowed during this event.