Land of the First People Outdoor Exhibits
Iipay ~ Tipai Kumeyaay Mut Niihepok Land of the First People Exhibit Area
Old Town Working Group & Interpretive Summary
New Outdoor Space Coming to Old Town in Fall 2021
California State Parks has been meeting with the Old Town Working Group since 2013 to discuss interpretation and education for the Land of the First People Exhibit Area—called Iipay ~ Tipai Kumeyaay Mut Niihepok —at Old Town San Diego State Historic Park. This Working Group has been instrumental in providing an opportunity for the Kumeyaay Nation to shape the interpretation of Kumeyaay culture and their connections to the San Diego River and to Old Town San Diego.
The Old Town Working Group is comprised of representatives of the Kumeyaay Nation, including leaders from:
- Kumeyaay Diegueño Land Conservancy (KDLC)
- Kumeyaay Community College (KCC)
- Kumeyaay Heritage Preservation Council (KHPC)
- Kumeyaay Cultural Repatriation Committee (KCRC)
- Tribal members from:
- Barona, Campo, Ewiiaapaayp, Inja-Cosmit, Jamul, La Posta, Manzanita, Mesa Grande, San Pasqual, Santa Ysabel, Sycuan, and Viejas Bands of the Kumeyaay Nation
Map of Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
This map shows the entirety of Old Town San Diego State Historic Park, including Iipay ~ Tipai Kumeyaay Mut Niihepok in the bottom right corner.
Land of the First People Digital Tour
Explore this digital tour that will be offered at the site to learn more about The Kumeyaay – San Diego’s First People.