Venues in Columbia State Historic Park

Thank you for choosing Columbia State Historic Park for your next evet! In order to meet our mission of protecting the natural and cultural resources and to balance the needs of park visitors, we require that a special event permit be obtained prior to any events that are outside typical visitor use. This includes weddings, large parties, reservation of picnic areas, alcohol consumption outside of the permitted areas, amplified music, special use of buildings, any activity that restricts the access of park visitors, any activity that incurs and increased liability to the State of California, after hours use, any activity that generates increased maintenance service, etc. 

Email to start your application today!

Call (209) 588-9128 for more information.

Available Sites

Fallon Rose Garden - $300 per day
Burns Cottage Garden - $300 per day
School House Grounds (outside grounds only, not inside the historic structure) - $300 per day
Gazebo - $300 per day
Mocine Barn Area - $300 per day

 *Other sites may be available upon request.

Permit Process

  1. Complete a special event permit application at least 8 weeks prior to the event. Events are considered on a case-by-case basis. Due to park planning issues and staffing, it is generally not possible to approve a permit in less than 4 weeks time. Applications and instructions are available online Please visit Columbia SHP ( and click on Venue Rentals or you can email and ask for the permit and instructions. It is generally a good idea to speak with visitor services staff during the early planning stages of your event. Call (209)-588-9128 to speak to the special event coordinator or visit the Ranger Station at 11259 Jackson Street in Columbia. 
  2. Applications should be completed digitally and submitted by email to . Handwritten applications are not preferred and may be delayed in approval. The filing fee is due at the time of submission and is $25. A check can be mailed to the Ranger Station at 11259 Jackson St., Columbia CA 95310 or dropped off in person. Late applications (Under 4 weeks) will require a $100 fee and permit may not be approved. This fee is to cover the staff time needed to process the permit and is not refundable.
  3. Special event permits are considered on a case-by-case basis, depending upon the impact to park visitors, public cost incurred to support the event, and the potential liability to the state. You may be asked to submit proof of liability insurance or pay an activity fee to cover additional staffing or mitigate other impacts. You may be asked to participate in a walk-through prior to your event, to ensure a smooth event. If the event will occur beyond normal staff hours, you may need to pay for additional staffing. Special event permits will not be approved for dates when park events are planned. Required staffing and fees will be determined by staff during the review process and will be included in the approved permit. Guidelines and rules for the event will be listed in the approved permit. Fees for staff and venues will be required to be paid in full 30 days prior to the event. You will receive a copy of the approved or denied permit in email. In addition to an approved Special Event Permit from California State Parks, your event may also require other permits. Proof of appropriate permits will be required prior to your event.


If food will be offered to the public, you may need a food Service Permit. Contact the Tuolumne County Health Department for more information. (209)-533-5990

If alcohol will be sold, you will need to present an ABC License, and secure insurance. Contact the Alcoholic Beverage Control, at 31 E. Channel St., Room 168 Stockton, CA 95202 (209) 948-7739

If your event will involve the use of the streets in Columbia, you will need a special permit from the county of Tuolumne. Contact Department of Public Works, (209)-533-5601, 48 West Yaney Avenue, Sonora, CA 95370

Application Documents 

Special Events at Columbia State Historic Park Permit Process

Special Event Permit Application

Special Event Permit Supplement Application

Columbia Special Event Request Fees and Event Needs