Sunrise to Sunset
No Motorized Vehicles
allowed in the park
Burton Creek State Park
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
Be COVID-19 Safe – State Parks continues to follow guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health:
- Fully Vaccinated Persons: Face coverings are not required in public outdoor settings. For indoor public settings, such as museums and visitor centers, all vaccinated individuals are to self-attest that they are in compliance prior to entry.
- Unvaccinated Persons: Face coverings are required in indoor public settings such as museums and visitor centers.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
Burton Creek State Park
Burton Creek State Park is located on the outskirts of Tahoe City.
Six miles of unpaved roadway are available for hiking, mountain biking, and cross-country skiing.
The terrain is mountainous and uneven and explores the south facing slopes of the north shore of the Tahoe Basin.
There is a variety of conifers and shrubs, and opportunities for wildlife and bird watching.
Spring time offers many wildflowers to see, and in the fall the cottonwoods change color.
In the winter, the trails are open for cross-country skiing. For more information please contact Tahoe XC.
Water, restrooms, and other services are not available.
Motorized vehicles are not allowed in the park.
- Tahoe City Public Utility District (Burton Creek ski trails and instruction)
Location - Directions
Burton Creek State Park is located on the northeast side of Tahoe City.
Please review the park brochure for access areas.
Seasons/Climate Recommended Clothing
Summer temperatures range from about 75 degrees during the day to the low 40s at night, and winter temperatures average from a high of 40 to a low of 20 degrees. The high sierra weather is varied and can change abruptly. It is recommended to bring layered clothing and check weather updates.