For-Hire Vessel Operator Licensing Program
BASIC FACTS ABOUT THE FOR-HIRE VESSEL OEPRATOR'S LICENSING PROGRAM
• Applicants must be at least eighteen (18) years old.
• Applicants must have at least one year's experience in operating the type of boat on the type of water for which the license is requested. In certain cases, other experience or training may be substituted.
• Applicants must be in good physical condition in order to provide for safe operation of a vessel.
• Applicants must possess adequate knowledge and have the skill necessary for safe operation of a passenger vessel. Written and practical (on-the water) examinations are given.
* Note: If you have a valid Coast Guard Motorboat Operator's License, you may be issued a State license without further examination, including a waiver of the Medical Report. It will be necessary for the Coast Guard license or a copy to be reviewed by the Division before a State license can be issued.
For-Hire Vessel Operator's License Forms:
• For-Hire License Cover Sheet
• For-Hire License Application
• Statement of Boat Handling Ability and Moral Character
• Medical Examination Report
Written Exam Preparation:
The following subjects are suggested for study in preparation for the written examination:
1. California Boating Safety Course
2. ABCs of the California Boating
3. Life Jackets and the Law
4. Harbors and Navigation Code, Article 3
5. Title 14, Article 4 of the California Code of Regulations
6. Title 14, Article 4.5 of the California Code of Regulations
7. Title 14, Article 5 of the California Code of Regulations
8. Title 14, Article 6 of the California Code of Regulations
9. Title 14, Article 7 of the California Code of Regulations
10. Special Requirements For Passenger Vessels For-Hire Operations
11. American Red Cross First-Aid training
The subjects covered on the examination include the following:
• Safe Boat Operation
• State Laws and Regulations:
- Navigation Rules
- Vessel Operation/Equipment
- Waterway Marking System
- For-Hire License
- Vessel Registration
- Accident Reporting
• Fire Prevention
• Vessel Maintenance
• First Aid
For more information about the For-Hire Vessel Operator’s Licensing Program, please contact:
DPR – Division of Boating and Waterways
One Capitol Mall, Suite 500
Sacramento, CA 95814