Rules & Regulations
PROGRAM TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
In order for the Junior Lifeguard program to be successful, participants must exhibit behavior that is respectful of our staff, other participants, equipment, and facilities.
The intent of discipline is to instruct the participant so as to gain compliance with acceptable behavior norms. Therefore, please sign and familiarize yourself and your Junior Lifeguard with the following rules and policy.
- Leaving the supervised recreational area without receiving permission from program staff is not permitted.
- Fighting (physical or verbal), and use of profane language is not permitted, and parents will be notified.
- Vandalism of site, public or other participant’s property will not be tolerated.
- Restrooms are to be used for their intended purpose and nothing else. Restrooms are to be kept clean. Participants must notify a lead-person before going to the restroom.
- Daily assembly- each site has its own assembly times. For approximately 15 minutes the entire group will meet. It is necessary that participants are quiet and attentive at this time.
- Each Junior Lifeguard program site will have its own specific guidelines put in place for the safety and enjoyment of all participants.
Any types of mildly aggressive, intrusive, or destructive actions towards fellow participants, staff members or equipment
- Participant will be verbally warned, counseled about the situation, and given an explanation of what behavior change is expected.
- Time-out (cool-off period), immediately after each incident for 2-5 minutes, depending on the incident. Extra, supervised physical exercise such as push-ups, sit-ups, or running, may be assigned at this time. At this time the participant will be given an explanation of the consequences for continued inappropriate behavior, and an informal behavior contract and plan for successful participation will be implemented.
- Conference involving parent, participant, and staff that will include:
- discussion of incident
- explanation of discipline policy
- formal behavior contract, completed and signed
- determine disciplinary support at home
- May include suspension or expulsion depending on severity of behavior, as judged by the site leader and aquatic supervisor. Parent, participant and staff will review behavior contract as well as incident reports. There will be no refunds in the event of an expulsion.
* Any single incident or aggressive, destructive, or physical behavior toward another participant or staff member, that causes injury, or could potentially cause injury, will result in an immediate time-out and a conference involving parent, participant, and site leader. Serious incidents of this nature may result in immediate expulsion from the program.
Attendance is taken daily. We would appreciate being notified if your child will be absent for a long period of time, i.e. due to vacation, etc. Please email the respective program and notify your child's instructor if they are going to be absent for more than one day. If your child will only be absent for one day, you do not need to notify your child's beach lead.
Program Contacts: ONLY AVAILABLE DURING SUMMER MONTHS
Twin Lakes- email@example.com
Rio Del Mar- firstname.lastname@example.org
(This agenda is subject to variation without notice, based daily conditions)
10:00 – Roll call and program meeting
10:15 – Warm ups, stretching and calisthenics
11:15 – Age group skills & activities
12:00 – Lunch
12:45 – Topic lecture
1:30 - Age group skills & activities
2:40 – Program clean-up and review, roll call and end of the day all-beach group up
3:00 – End of another great day!
Please make sure your JG has the following everyday:
- Sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) and towel
- A bag lunch, with nutritious, wholesome food, and lots of drinking water, for a full active day
- Junior Lifeguard uniform & swimsuit
- A large sun hat (optional but recommended)
- A sweatshirt for cold days
- Protective, beach appropriate footwear
- Wetsuits are optional, but HIGHLY recommended
PARTICIPATION IN ACTIVITIES
Students are required to participate in all regular program activities. If a student continuously refuses to participate in the daily the Junior Guard activities they may be asked to leave the program after the first week. If you have questions, please see one of the lead instructors.
- There is a $50.00 fee for cancellations made prior to the first day of instruction
- Students may drop from the program at any time prior to the completion of the first week of instruction and receive a 50% refund of tuition (minus the $50.00 cancellation fee and processing fees)
- After the commencement of the first day of the second week, no refunds will be made
- There is no refund of fees for the students suspended (1-3 days) or for students that are removed from all further program activities for disciplinary reasons
- If your child does not pass the JG tryout, you will be refunded the full amount, minus the processing fees
- Refunds may take up to 8 weeks for payment
Required Uniform for Students:
Boys: Navy Swim trunks and red long-sleeved JG t-shirt
Girls: Navy athletic style swim suit and red long-sleeved JG t-shirt. (Racing style 2 piece ok).
For information on optional Junior Lifeguard apparel available for purchase-click below
Junior Lifeguards Uniforms
We ask that you notify the office at least thirty (30) days prior to the start of the program if you student desires special accommodations or services in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMATORY POLICY
The California State Junior Lifeguard program admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or make available to students at school. The state does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethic origin in administration of educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship, athletic and other school-administered programs.
Santa Cruz State Junior Lifeguards
665 14th Ave
Santa Cruz, California, 95062
California State Parks
The State of California
Department of Parks and Recreation