State Park Peace Officer Compensation
State Park Peace Officer – Differential and Incentive Pay Information
In addition to salary, State Park Peace Officers (SPPO) -Rangers and Lifeguards- and Firefighter/Security Officers* can receive additional pay differentials as listed below:
- General Recruitment and Retention
The additional salary of $175 per month is for all SPPOs employed by the Department of Parks and Recreation. This differential recognizes the difficulty in recruiting and keeping qualified Rangers and Lifeguards.
- Geographic Recruitment and Retention
Employees headquartered and residing in one of the following 17 designated high cost counties receive a monthly differential of $220, $300, or $350 depending on the employee’s classification:
Alameda, Contra Costa, Los Angeles, Marin, Monterey, Napa, Orange, San Diego, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma, Ventura
- State Park Peace Officer Ranger or Lifeguard (Range A) - $220
- State Park Peace Officer Ranger or Lifeguard, Range B - $300
- Supervising State Park Peace Officer, Ranger - $350
- Lifeguard Supervisor I, II, III - $350
- State Park Superintendent I, II, III, IV, V - $350
- Field Division Chief, CEA II - $350
- Longevity Pay **
Employees who have peace officer status and at least 17 years of State service receive a monthly differential based on a percentage of their base pay. Prior State service in classifications other than a peace officer may be included. Longevity pay will be determined as follows:
- 17 & 18 years - 2%
- 9 years - 3%
- 20 years - 4%
- 21 years - 5%
- 22 - 24 years - 6%
- 25 years or more - 8%
- Education Incentive: Peace Officer/Firefighter Employees in eligible Bargaining Unit 7 classifications and select excluded classes who attain the POST Certificates listed below, as certified by the Department, or the appropriate college degree, are eligible for the following:
- Intermediate POST Certificate or equivalent - $50/month
- Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree - $75/month
- Advanced POST Certificate or equivalent - $100/month
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science Degree - $125/month
- Canine Differential
- Canine Officers - $189 monthly
*Designated peace officers and firefighters who qualify for Peace Officer/Firefighter retirement shall be eligible for the pay differential.
**All time spent in State service shall count, as long as the employee is in a classification with the collective bargaining identifier as R07, S07, M07, at the time of eligibility for the pay differential is approved.
**The Longevity Pay Differential shall be eliminated upon movement to a classification other than R07, S07, M07. Upon movement to another class, the employee shall move from his/her base salary only.