For Immediate Release: 5/11/2018
California State Historical Resources Commission To Consider 15 Properties for Action
Contact: Jorge Moreno I Information Officer I (916) 653-1986
SACRAMENTO, Calif.—The California State Historical Resources Commission (Commission) will consider fourteen nominations for federal historic designation and one relocation of a federally listed property on Thursday, May 17. The Commission meeting will be held at 1 p.m. in the Lucie Stern Community Center Ballroom, located at 1305 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto.
Some of the nominations being considered by the Commission include a two-story auditorium designed to resemble the Mission San Antonio de Padua, the headquarters of Bing Crosby Enterprise and a gas station located along the historic Route 66. There are also multiple nominations associated with the Chicano Moratorium in Los Angeles County, which include the Chicano Moratorium March (1969), National Chicano Moratorium March (1970), Brown Beret Headquarters and El Barrio Free Clinic. The Chicano Moratorium sought to redirect Mexican American energies toward fighting for social justice at home and in turn redefine the nature of Mexican-American patriotism.
All properties being considered at the meeting include:
National Register of Historic Places Nominations
Fresno, Fresno County
The oldest extant hotel in Fresno is a seven-story, plus partial basement concrete building. Constructed in 1912 by Edward T. Foulkes and rising almost 86 feet above the sidewalk, Hotel Fresno was considered a high-rise at the time of its construction.
Top Hat Hot Dog Stand
Ventura, Ventura County
This rare and intact example of a postwar roadside commercial walk-up hot dog stand, specifically reflecting California roadside architecture, represents the very beginning of postwar American fast food culture. Top Hat reflects the independently owned, entrepreneurial stands that have been eliminated by the national and regional fast food chains.
Windsor, Sonoma County
One of the foundational homesteads on which much of the developing town of Windsor was located and through which major historic transportation routes ran. The property is associated with the Cunninghams, one of Windsor’s founding families, and descendant families, each of which contributed to the physical and civic development of Windsor.
Chicano Moratorium in Los Angeles County Multiple Property Submission (MPS)
Los Angeles and East Los Angeles, Los Angeles County
The Chicano Moratorium in Los Angeles County sought to redirect Mexican American energies toward fighting for social justice at home and in turn redefine the nature of Mexican American patriotism. While the Chicano Moratorium was technically short-lived—its main organization, the Chicano Moratorium Committee, existed from late 1969 to early 1971—its significance was far reaching. Moratorium activists assumed a key leadership role in the Southern California antiwar movement. Their ideology helped push the Latino civil rights movement toward cultural nationalism. Their protest actions were groundbreaking, culminating in the march and rally of Aug. 29, 1970, the largest mass protest of Mexican Americans in history to that date. While that dramatic rally began in exuberance and hope, it ended in violence and tragedy, vividly illustrating the problem of police brutality, which Chicano activists had vigorously critiqued. The Moratorium Committee disintegrated shortly thereafter, leaving an important legacy in the realms of Latino political activism and thought. Properties associated with the Chicano Moratorium MPS include march districts and individual buildings.
Chicano Moratorium March Dec. 20, 1969 (Chicano Moratorium MPS) Los Angeles and East Los Angeles, Los Angeles Count
From Five Points Memorial in the City of Los Angeles to Obregon Park in unincorporated East Los Angeles, the December 1969 march drew attention to the historic contributions of the Latino community to the United States military in past wars and to the disproportionate sacrifices of the community in the Vietnam War. The success of this march garnered public support and attention for the Chicano movement and subsequent Chicano Moratorium marches.
National Chicano Moratorium March Aug. 29, 1970 (Chicano Moratorium MPS) East Los Angeles, Los Angeles County
The August 1970 national march in unincorporated East Los Angeles—from Belvedere Park down Atlantic and Whittier Boulevards to a rally in Laguna Park—channeled anti-Vietnam War sentiment to draw attention to domestic issues affecting the Chicano community. The peaceful rally turned into a major conflict between protestors and police officers and sheriff’s deputies. The violent outcome, including the death of prominent journalist Ruben Salazar, convinced many Chicano activists and community members to focus on the unique struggles of the Chicano community and was a milestone for organizing the Chicano community around struggles for equality.
Brown Beret Headquarters (Chicano Moratorium MPS) Los Angeles, Los Angeles County
The two story mixed use building is located in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles. Originally constructed in 1923, the building became the headquarters of the Brown Berets, a militant community group that advocated for equal opportunity for Chicano/as, from June 1969 until June 1970, during the period of the Chicano Moratorium.
El Barrio Free Clinic (Chicano Moratorium MPS) East Los Angeles, Los Angeles County
This single story commercial building in East Los Angeles was built in 1926 with subsequent additions. Established by the Brown Berets in 1969, the Free Clinic provided healthcare and healthcare information to the nearby community during the years 1969-1970, the period of the Chicano Moratorium.
San Gabriel Mission Playhouse
San Gabriel, Los Angeles County
The two-story auditorium designed by Arthur B. Benton in 1921 to resemble the Mission San Antonio de Padua was completed in 1927 by the firm of Dodd and Richards. The theater was built to house John Steven McGroarty's The Mission Play, its architecture evocative of the themes of Mexican California as expressed in the production.
West Hollywood, Los Angeles County
The headquarters of Bing Crosby Enterprises was constructed in 1936-37 in a mixture of Art Deco and Colonial Revival styles. The building is associated with the lives of entertainer Bing Crosby and inventor John T. Mullin and the development of video tape recording technology.
Cucamonga Service Station (U.S. Highway 66 in California MPS)
Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino County
This 1915 Spanish Colonial Revival gas station is located along historic Route 66 in the city of Cucamonga.
Saticoy Southern Pacific Depot
Saticoy, Ventura County
Built in 1887, the depot is a standardized No. 17 Two-Story Combination Depot, built by Southern Pacific Railroad and exhibiting the Western Stick architectural style. The depot became the center of this late nineteenth century boomtown, acting as a cornerstone to the rural community due to its important transportation link to regional and national markets.
San Diego, San Diego County
Patrol Craft Fast Mark II, also known as a Swift Boat, was fabricated by Seawart Seacraft in 1968. Primarily used in Vietnam for river patrols, PCF 816 was used as a training craft in San Diego for approximately two years. About one-sixth of the American personnel who served on Swift Boats during the Vietnam War trained aboard this craft.
National Register of Historic Places Request Approval to Relocate
Redwood City, San Mateo County
Constructed by Benjamin Lathrop in 1863, Lathrop House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places April 11, 1973 as a significant example of Gothic Revival Architecture. In order to maintain the house’s National Register status, the county of San Mateo, the owner of the property, is seeking permission to move the house approximately one block.
The National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program that coordinates and supports public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America’s historic and archaeological resources. The California Register of Historical Resources includes buildings, sites, structures, objects, and districts significant in the architectural, engineering, scientific, economic, agricultural, educational, social, political, military, or cultural annals of California.
All nominations and photographs of properties under consideration are available online.
Notices and agendas for Commission meetings are available online 10 days before a meeting at www.ohp.parks.ca.gov. The public may present oral statements at the hearing at the appropriate time. Inquiries and written comments on the agenda may also be emailed to the Office of Historic Preservation at email@example.com or submitted via mail to Julianne Polanco, State Historic Preservation Officer at Office of Historic Preservation, P.O. Box 942896, Sacramento, CA 94296-0001.
General inquiries on the Commission are handled by Twila Willis-Hunter. She may be contacted via phone at (916) 445-7052 or at the same mailing address listed above.
Office of Historic Preservation
Responsible for administering federally and state mandated historic preservation programs to further the identification, evaluation, registration and protection of California's irreplaceable archaeological and historical resources under the direction of the State Historic Preservation Officer, a gubernatorial appointee, and the State Historical Resources Commission. Learn more at ohp.parks.ca.gov.
Subscribe to California State Parks News via e-mail at NewsRoom@parks.ca.gov
California State Parks provides for the health, inspiration and education of the people of California by helping to preserve the state’s extraordinary biological diversity, protecting its most valued natural and cultural resources, and creating opportunities for high quality outdoor recreation.