For Immediate Release: 5/2/2017
California State Historical Resources Commission To Consider 15 Properties for Action
Jay Correia l Jay.Correia@parks.ca.gov l (916) 445-7008
SACRAMENTO, Calif.—The California State Historical Resources Commission (Commission) will consider 14 nominations for federal historic designation and one nomination for state designation Wednesday, May 10. The Commission meeting will be held at 9 a.m. in the Council Chamber at Pasadena City Hall, located at 100 North Garfield Avenue, Room S249, Pasadena.
Properties to be considered at this meeting include historic places worthy of preservation, such as Pasadena’s Mayfair Hotel, and two properties associated with the Latinos in Twentieth Century California historic context. Additionally, an elementary school eligible at the national level of significance for its association with providing education to the children of war industry workers in support of the World War II home front.
All properties being considered at the meeting include:
National Register of Historic Places Nominations
Great Wall of Los Angeles
Los Angeles, Los Angeles County
This half-mile long mural depicts the history of California through images of significant figures and historic events from diverse and traditionally marginalized communities. The mural is painted on the west wall of the Tujunga Flood Control Channel in the North Hollywood area of Los Angeles. The mural was completed between 1974 and 1984 by teams of young people and artist supervisors, under the artistic leadership of Chicana muralist Judith F. Baca, working with the Social and Public Art Resource Center.
Edward Roybal House
Los Angeles, Los Angeles County
The Craftsman bungalow was the residence of Edward Roybal 1949 to 1963. One of the most influential Latino politicians in the United States, in 1949, Roybal was the first Mexican-American elected to the Los Angeles City Council since 1881. He served on the council until his election to the U.S. Congress in 1962, making him the first Latino from California elected to the House of Representatives in the twentieth century.
Walter D. Valentine Cottage B.
Altadena, Los Angeles County
The cottage was originally constructed as a small cabin in 1912 by an unknown architect/builder. In 1922-24 the cabin was remodeled and enlarged by famed architect Henry Greene. In addition to embodying the Arts and Crafts period of architecture and reflecting Greene’s work, the residence is also unusual in that it was discovered circa 2000 as one of his commissions.
Christian Science Society
Avalon, Los Angeles County
Constructed in 1929, the building was Catalina Island’s first example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style. The design was precedent setting for the island and served as a template for the cohesive feel that later defined Avalon during its golden age of the 1930s. The building’s successful completion—on time and on budget despite the trying conditions of both location and period—inspired confidence among island developers, and became a thematic touchstone for the entire community.
Malibu Historic District
Malibu, Los Angeles County
The district includes the Malibu Pier and three surf breaks identified from east to west as First Point, Second Point and Third Point. Malibu also incorporates coastal and nearshore areas that drain the 108 square mile Malibu Creek watershed and, because of the creek’s sediment outflows and a specific coastal geography/bathymetry, form one of Southern California’s highest-quality surfing areas. Described as the “world’s original perfect wave,” Malibu was a benchmark location for performance surfing through the mid-1960s.
Robert J. Dunn House
Redlands, San Bernardino County
This large Craftsman home was designed by the regionally prominent master architecture firm Hudson and Munsell, the only known example of a Hudson and Munsell house in Redlands. Constructed in 1912, Craftsman architectural themes continue on the interior of the house, including extensive use of wood, built-in cabinets and artistically designed fireplaces.
Montecito Ranch House
Ramona, San Diego County
The Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival style house of adobe brick was constructed between 1887 and 1897 during the settlement of Ramona. The house is associated with the early development and settlement of the Santa Maria Valley and Ramona as a rural agricultural rancher community.
Juan María Osuna Adobe
Rancho Santa Fe, San Diego County
This circa 1831 Spanish Colonial home is located within the boundary of the original Rancho San Dieguito land grant, now known as Rancho Santa Fe. The most notable alterations were completed by Rancho Santa Fe architect Lilian Rice in 1924-1925. In keeping with the aesthetic of Rice’s Spanish Colonial Revival architecture proclivities for the planned community of Rancho Santa Fe, the changes to the building continued to exemplify the early Spanish influences such as white adobe wall construction complemented by red-tiled roofs, porches, patios, and courtyards.
Henry Geilfuss House
San Francisco, San Francisco County
The house was designed by architect Henry Geilfuss for his family in 1882. They lived there until 1900, a period of significance that also corresponds to the most productive time of his career as a prolific master architect of Victorian-era San Francisco. This rare surviving example of a detached residence in a cityscape dominated by row houses is also an excellent example of a bay-windowed Italianate.
Nystrom Elementary School
Richmond, Contra Costa County
The school was constructed by the US Maritime Commission in 1943 to provide educational services to the children of war industry workers. The school illustrates the effect of a massive influx of people on a small town and the subsequent development that resulted. As the population rapidly increased with laborers filling positions in the fifty-six war-related industries located in Richmond, the enrollment of pupils in Richmond’s schools exploded.
Mohr & Yoerk Market
Sacramento, Sacramento County
The building was originally constructed in 1911 for mixed-use with a meat market on its ground floor and apartments upstairs. Originally located adjacent to Mohr and Yoerk's meatpacking plant, this building was designed by master architect E.C. Hemmings. The market closed in 1931, and was replaced by the Bon Marche department store in 1933.
Pasadena, Los Angeles County
The 1914 five-story, poured concrete and brick Neoclassical commercial/hotel building is located on a prominent corner with close access to steam and electric railroads and major automobile boulevards. The Mayfair Hotel is significant for its role in commerce, as a prominent early example of commercial architecture by the design/build team of Meyer & Holler, and for its association with the Stoner v. California Supreme Court case.
Albion River Bridge
Albion, Mendocino County
The 969-foot long, 150-foot high combination steel and timber truss bridge with timber deck was constructed during World War II when strategic material shortages required innovative engineering design, using timbers to minimize use of steel in its construction. Crossing the Albion River Valley in the Mendocino County community of Albion, the Albion River Bridge is nominated under cover of the Historic Highway Bridges in California Multiple Property Submission.
Earl Crabbe Gymnasium
Auburn, Placer County
This WPA Moderne high school gymnasium was built in 1936-37 and designed by architect W.E. Coffman of Sacramento. The gym's construction was funded by the federal Public Works Administration's Works Progress Administration program, whose built projects often used a simplified style derivative of Streamline Moderne and Classical Revival, sometimes called "Starved Classicism,” for public buildings. The property is nominated under cover of the Historic and Architectural Resources of Auburn, California Multiple Property Submission.
California Register of Historical Resources Nominations
Willow Glen Trestle
San Jose, Santa Clara County
The wooden trestle was built in 1922 by the Western Pacific Railroad to serve industries in San Jose without disrupting the existing residential neighborhood of Willow Glen. The trestle solved the problem of access to West San Jose industries and gave Western Pacific the ability to provide rail transportation to an industrial area of the important fruit growing and canning region previously served only by larger competitor Southern Pacific.
All nominations and photographs of properties under consideration are available at www.ohp.parks.ca.gov/pending.
The commission will also present two resolutions – World War I National Remembrance and Linda Dishman for 25 years with the Los Angeles Conservancy.
The public may present oral statements at the hearing at the appropriate time. Written comments about any subject on the agenda may be submitted to Julianne Polanco, State Historic Preservation Officer, Office of Historic Preservation, Post Office Box 942896, Sacramento, California 94296-0001. Inquiries may be directed to Recording Secretary Twila Willis-Hunter by phone at (916) 445-7052, by fax at (916) 445-7053 or by mail to the State Historical Resources Commission, Post Office Box 942896, Sacramento, California 94296-0001. Notices and agendas for the Commission’s workshop and meeting are available at ten days before the meeting.
The National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program that coordinates and supports public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America’s historic and archaeological resources. The California Register of Historical Resources includes buildings, sites, structures, objects, and districts significant in the architectural, engineering, scientific, economic, agricultural, educational, social, political, military, or cultural annals of California.
Notices and agendas for California State Historical Commission meetings can be found online at www.parks.ca.gov/commissions.
Subscribe to California State Parks News via e-mail at NewsRoom@parks.ca.gov
California State Parks provides for the health, inspiration and education of the people of California by helping to preserve the state’s extraordinary biological diversity, protecting its most valued natural and cultural resources, and creating opportunities for high quality outdoor recreation.