CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION
Divisions of Boating and Waterways, Historic Preservation and Off-Highway Vehicles
For Immediate Release: 11/15/2016
California State Parks and REI Invite You to "Invent Your Adventure" over the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California State Parks and Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI) invite the public to “Invent Your Adventure” over the Thanksgiving holiday by participating in a photo contest. The contest will take place exclusively on the Instagram accounts of California State Parks and/or the seven participating state parks. REI is directly awarding one $100 gift card per participating park to the most creative participants who complete all steps of the photo contest.
“Invent Your Adventure” encourages the public to spend time in the outdoors and share their photos on social media using the hashtags #InventYourAdventure and #CAStateParks.
Together, California State Parks and REI are working to increase the number of people enjoying the outdoors, which also will increase the number of potential stewards of state parks.
Here’s how the “Invent Your Adventure” photo contest works:
Starting Friday, November 25, an “Invent Your Adventure” flag will be hidden in each of seven selected state parks:
- Bolsa Chica State Beach, County of Orange
- Cardiff State Beach, County of San Diego
- Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park, Tulare County
- Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, County of Santa Cruz
- Indian Grinding Rock State Historic Park, Amador County
- Lake Oroville State Recreation Area, Butte County
- Mount Tamalpais State Park, Marin County.
Follow the Instagram accounts of California State Parks and/or participating state parks and
- Find your nearest participating park
- Find the flag in the park’s mystery location
- Take a selfie with the flag in the mystery location
- Post to Instagram, tag @CAStateParks, using your #InventYourAdventure and #OptOutside hashtags.
Mystery locations will be revealed at 8 a.m. Friday, November 25, and conclude at 4 p.m. on Sunday, November 27.
Winners will be selected based on the creativity of their photo. A panel of California State Park representatives will select the winning photo for each participating park. Winners will be notified via a direct message from California State Parks on Instagram by 5 p.m., Monday, November 28.
- NOTE: While we encourage everyone to share their photos and stories with us across all social media platforms, only completed submissions made on Instagram will be considered.
With 280 park units, over 340 miles of coastline, 970 miles of lake and river frontage, 15,000 campsites and 4,500 miles of trails, the state park system provides wonderful recreational, educational, and inspirational opportunities for more than 67 million visitors annually.
California State Parks Mission
To provide for the health, inspiration and education of the people of California by helping to preserve the state’s extraordinary biological diversity, protecting its most valued natural and cultural resources, and creating opportunities for high quality outdoor recreation.