CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION
Divisions of Boating and Waterways, Historic Preservation and Off-Highway Vehicles
For Immediate Release: 12/11/2014
California State Parks Closures Due to Storm: UPDATED 12/11/14 @ 11:00 A.M.
- Angel Island State Park
- Tomales Bay State Park
- Sonoma Coast State Park
- Mount Diablo State Park summit
- Annadel State Park
- Petaluma Adobe State Historic Park
- Mount Tamalpais State Park
- Olompali State Historic Parks will be closed today, until further notice.
- Richardson Grove State Park has been closed until further notice.
- Samuel P. Taylor State Park will be closing the campground today until further notice.
San Luis Obispo:
- Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument (Hearst Castle) is closed today due to safety concerns pertaining to high winds and rain. No daytime or evening tours will be available today. The Visitor Center will remain open regular hours.
Santa Cruz County
- Big Basin Redwoods State Park, New Brighton State Beach, Seacliff State Beach, and Sunset State Beach have been closed, and are expected to remain closed through next Wednesday December 16. Reservations are being cancelled and refunds will be issued.
- Carmel River State Beach, Julia Pfieffer Burns State Park and Point Lobos State Natural Reserve will close today and tomorrow.
San Mateo County:
- Ano Nuevo State Park is closed to day use.
- Coastal Trail at Asilomar State Beach, closed until further notice.
- Stevenson Garden within Monterey State Historic Park, closed until further notice.
Other State Parks:
- Weaverville Joss House State Historic Park visitor center and temple are closed due to a power outage. All other areas of the park will remain open to pedestrian traffic.
- The road of Newton B. Drury Parkway at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Parkand Howland Hill Road at Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park are closed, as well as Davison Road to Gold Bluffs Beach Campground and Fern Canyon. The Elk Prairie Campground at Prairie Creek will be closed.
- Near Guerneville in western Sonoma County, Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve and adjoining Austin Creek State Recreation Area will close during the storm, except for local residents who need drive through the parks to access their homes, due to high winds and potential for falling trees and debris.
California State Parks Mission
To provide for the health, inspiration and education of the people of California by helping to preserve the state’s extraordinary biological diversity, protecting its most valued natural and cultural resources, and creating opportunities for high quality outdoor recreation.