The MacFarland House is located within the San Juan Hill subdivision, a housing tract on Stanford land cleared by the University in the 1890s to encourage faculty to live near campus. The 1914 MacFarland house is an early 20th century Tudor Revival design with Colonial and Craftsman elements. It is characterized by a false thatched roof, heavily textured stucco walls, overhanging eaves, exposed roof beams, and simple, stuccoed columns. The 1924 garage, now converted to living quarters, remains unchanged on the exterior and is a contributing building. The property was listed at the state level of significance under Criterion B n the area of science for the association with Frank Mace McFarland who lived in the house from 1914 until his death in 1951. MacFarland began his career at Stanford University as an advanced student instructor in 1892. In 1909 he was made full Professor of Histology, a position he held until his retirement in 1934. MacFarland was a major contributor to the early development of the field of marine biology in California. His lifework was the study, classification, and documentation of sea slugs of the molluscan subclass opisthobranchiata, much of which was undertaken in his home laboratory.

Registration Date: 7/21/2006

City: Stanford
County: Santa Clara

775 Santa Ynez St.

Back   Return to Listed Resources Listing