SITE OF FORT ROMUALDO PACHECO
In 1774, Spain opened an overland route from Sonora to California but it was closed by Yuma Indians in 1781. In 1822, Mexico attempted to reopen this route. Lt. Romualdo Pacheco and soldiers built an adobe fort at this site in 1825-26, the only Mexican fort in Alta California. On April 26, 1826, Kumeyaay Indians attacked the fort, killing three soldiers and wounding three others. Pacheco abandoned the fort, removing soldiers to San Diego.
Registration Date: 9/15/1981
W bank of New River, S of Worthington Rd, 6-1/2 mi due W of City of Imperial
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing