SITE OF JACKSON'S PIONEER JEWISH SYNAGOGUE
On September 18, 1857, Congregation B'nai Israel of Jackson dedicated on this site the first synagogue in the Mother Lode. High holy day worship continued until 1869 when the larger Masonic Hall was used to accommodate the congregation. The wooden structure then served as a schoolhouse until 1888. Relocated onto a nearby lot, it became a private dwelling, and was razed in 1948.
Registration Date: 11/16/1973
SE corner of Church and Main Sts, Jackson
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing