WOODLAND OPERA HOUSE
The first opera house to serve the Sacramento Valley was built on this site in 1885. The present structure, built in 1895-96, continues to represent an important center for theatrical arts of that period. Erected by David M. Hershey and incorporating the classic American playhouse interior, it served vast agricultural regions of the Sacramento Valley. Motion picture competition hastened its closing in 1913. This property was also listed in the National Register of Historic Places on 11/5/1971.
Registration Date: 1/20/1972
W side of 2nd St between Main St and Dead Cat Alley, Woodland
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing