In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove. While here, the commander, Lieut. Juan Manuel de Ayala, directed the first survey of the bay. This island, which Ayala named Isla de los Angeles, has been a Mexican rancho, a U.S. military post, a bay defense site, and a quarantine and immigration station.
Registration Date: 3/7/1955
City: Angel Island
Hospital Cove, Angel Island State Park
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing