Formerly called 'First Garrote' because of the hanging of a Mexican for stealing a horse, Groveland was built in 1849 as shown by dated adobe brick taken from a partition, adobe buildings were still standing in 1949. Gold was discovered here in 1849, and thousands of dollars in placer gold were taken from mines on Garrote Creek, Big Creek, and other diggings.
Registration Date: 11/2/1949
On NE corner of Main (State Hwy 120) and Back Sts, Groveland
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing