James Woods first discovered gold in Tuolumne County west of this point, on Woods Creek, shortly before the town was founded by Colonel George James on August 8, 1848. Large quantities of gold were recovered from the stream. The town became known as gateway to the Mother Lode and the southern mines.
Registration Date: 3/16/1949
NE corner of Main and Donovan Sts, Jamestown
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing