ALPINE COUNTY COURTHOUSE
The simple, single story Alpine County Courthouse was constructed in 1928. The architect designed building was originally to be two stories, but as cost savings the second floor was abandoned. This property was also listed in the National Register of Historic Places ( 9/30/2004) at the local level of significance under Criterion A. It was the county seat of government in remote, scarcely populated Alpine County. Both Superior and Justice Courts were held in the building. It housed the offices of the county recorder, assessor, and County Sheriff. It was also the meeting place for the county supervisors and all public meetings. The building was also the repository for all county legal documents until the late 1970s.
Registration Date: 2/14/1992
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing