PORT OF SAN FRANCISCO EMBARCADERO HISTORIC DISTRICT
NPS Number: 0600372
The Port of San Francisco Embarcadero Historic District consists of piers and remnants of piers, a bulkhead wharf, a seawall, the Ferry Building, the Agriculture Building, and a collection of smaller buildings. These resources are located along a three-mile stretch of San Francisco’s waterfront in a band broken into two parts separated by a water channel – China Basin. While most of the district lies north of China Basin, Pier 48 lies south of it, cut off from the rest of the district because of loss of integrity between Pier 48 and Pier 40. Pier 48 is individually eligible for the National Register and is included in the district as a discontiguous contributing resource. Most of the district resources were constructed between 1908 and 1938. The construction of the seawall dates from 1878 and the construction of the Ferry Building dates to 1896. The district was listed under several contexts: Under Criterion A in the area of government at the state level of significance during the years 1878-1946; Under Criterion A in the areas of commerce and transportation at the national level of significance during the years 1878-1946; Under Criterion A in the area of labor at the National level of significance in 1934; Under Criterion B in the area of labor at the national level of significance in 1934 for the association with labor leader Harry Bridges; Under Criterion C in the area of engineering at the national level of significance during the years 1878-1946; Under Criterion C in the area of architecture at the local level of significance during the years 1898-1903, 1912-1938; Under Criterion C in the areas of community planning and development at the local level of significance during the years 1878-1938.
Registration Date: 5/12/2006
City: San Francisco
County: San Francisco
From Pier 45 to Pier 48, The Embarcadero
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing