FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
The First Congregational Church is a shingled, two story, cross-gabled, wood frame building constructed in 1908. It was listed at the local level of significance under Criteiron A in the area of social history for the important role the church played in rural Porterville during the years 1908-1936. The church had the only auditorium to seat a large group comfortably. It also provided an excellent recreational facility with swimming pool and gymnasium. Upon completion in 1908, the church quickly became a community wide center for recreation, community meetings, musical concerts, recitals, and education. The church is also significant at the local level under Criterion C in the area of architecture as an excellent example of a shingled Gothic Revival religious building. Designed by San Francisco architects Meeker and Reed, the building exhibits a sophisticated, richly detailed design. The First Congregational Church meets Criteria Consideration A: Religious Properties, because the property is significant for its historical associations and its architectural and design qualities, not for religious doctrine.
Registration Date: 1/5/1999
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing