This is one of California's last surviving examples of the great waterfront recreational pavilions from the turn of the century. Built in 1905 by the Newport Bay Investment Company, it played a prominent role in the development of Newport Beach as a seaside recreation area. In 1906, it became the southern terminus for the Pacific Electric Railway connecting the beach with downtown Los Angeles. The railway's Red Cars connected the beach with Los Angeles in only one hour. This property was also listed in the National Register of Historic Places on 5/17/1984.
Registration Date: 12/15/1983
400 Main St, Balboa
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing