REFORM SCHOOL FOR JUVENILE OFFENDERS (FRED C. NELLES SCHOOL)
The March 11, 1889 Act of the California Legislature authorized the establishment of a school for juvenile offenders. Dedication and laying of cornerstone was done by Governor R. W. Waterman on February 12, 1890. Officially opened as 'Whittier State School' for boys and girls on July 1, 1891. Girls were transferred in 1916 and only boys have been in residence since that time. Renamed 'Fred C. Nelles School for Boys' in 1941 ('For Boys' was dropped around 1970). This school has been in continuous operation serving the needs of juvenile offenders since 1891.
Registration Date: 3/1/1982
County: Los Angeles
Department of the Youth Authority entrance, 11850 E Whittier Blvd, Whittier
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing