This imposing building is an excellent example of California's Mexican-era architecture. With Indian labor, Petronilo Ríos built the two-story adobe about 1846 as his residence and the headquarters for his sheep and cattle operations. Named 'Caledonia' in the 1860s, it served as a hotel and stop on the stage route between Los Angeles and San Francisco until 1886. Restoration was begun in 1968 by the Friends of the Adobes.
Registration Date: 1/14/1981
City: San Miguel
County: San Luis Obispo
700 Mission St, San Miguel
Back Return to Listed Resources Listing